XXI. Holy Molly!

"Molly," Maxine slowly uttered, taking another step back until the back of her knee touched the edge of her bed.

"Yes, Max?" Molly asked, stopping right in front of her. "You have been gone for quite a long time and I had a long time to think." The maid took another step forward and Maxine gulped. The woman was batting her eyes too much. "I decided that I must tell you how I feel." Molly's hand went up to touch the edge of her white nightgown. "But then I decided against it and chose to show you instead."

The woman started to pull at the strings of her nightgown and Maxine jumped in panic. She reached out to grab Molly's hands and hold them still. "Stop. What are you doing?"

Molly's lips curled into a sensual smile. "What I ought to have done a long time ago, Max." She leaned forward, lips puckered.

In her attempt to escape, Maxine leaned backward and lost her balance. She fell unto her bed and before she could roll away, Molly jumped on her and straddled on her hips.

"Let us not act like little children, Max." She leaned down, hands resting on both sides of Maxine's face. "Albin is not here, but Oscar and the others are merely a few doors away. We must be very quiet."

Maxine shook her head. This could not be happening to her!

She grabbed Molly's hand and with all the strength that she could muster, she pushed the woman away. "Molly, you cannot do this."

Molly blinked. "But I want to! I desire to do this. I have been waiting for you to come home, Max. I can no longer—"

"No, Molly, you do not want this. I do not want this."

Molly blinked and then stiffened. Her face turned ashen as she opened her mouth in disbelief. "But—but you—"

"I consider you a friend," Maxine said, gently pushing Molly to the side and when the woman's legs freed her, she jumped out of bed and rushed to the door. "But not like this, Molly, please."

The woman's eyes suddenly filled with tears. "You do not fancy me? Not at all?"

Maxine swallowed. Bloody hell. "I'm sorry, Molly," was all she could say.

Molly gasped and covered her face with her hands. "Oh, this is embarrassing!"

"No, please, Molly, do not—" Maxine stopped. Well, it was indeed embarrassing. "Please, let us forget this ever happened, Molly."

The woman shook her head. "But I—Oh, Max, why can't you—" Molly stood up and walked toward Maxine. Her hand desperately clutched Maxine's shirt. "Please, love me. I want you. I know you can love me. I will make you and—"

Maxine winced. "Molly, that is highly unlikely. I am certain that what you feel toward me is merely a passing fancy. It shall wear off and—"

"It will not! I have met many men before but you are different. You look at me as though I am different and it makes me feel loved."

Maxine pulled away from her grasp. "Molly, I do like you as a friend. I enjoy your company," she said, motioning to the bed, "but not in this way."

Molly's face tightened and a new look enveloped her eyes. "I shall make you change your mind," she uttered with determination. "I shall make you come to me. I have heard how Lady Ysabella had changed Lord Wakefield's heart and I would be as patient as her if need be. But please, do not make me wait and suffer for years as Lady Ysabella did."

Maxine shook her head and reached for the door. She pulled it open. "Not everything goes our way, Molly." She stared the woman in the eyes. "It has been a very long day for me, Molly, and I am certain it has been the same for you. Please, go back to bed and let us both forget this night."