XL. Silent No More

She did not have to read the entire article to learn of its contents for the heading provided a clear picture.

Maxwell threw the paper across the room when he saw it and he said, "We go home to Kenward at once!"

Maxine could barely offer a reply for she felt utterly numb.

Everything was crumbling to pieces. What had she done! Her family—the Theobalds was now facing a scandal. And it would be soon that the Everards would be dragged along as well.

"No, we cannot act as cowards and escape," her husband continued to rant before her, pacing the room. "In fact, we must follow my mother's example. Should we go out and allow them to gawk? That is if you can do it, Maxie," he kept muttering to himself.

Maxine merely blinked. She had to concentrate on breathing because it seemed that she had forgotten how to.

Almost an hour later, her husband was seated across from her in the same drawing room and he brushed his fingers through his hair in frustration.

"We must replace this scandal," he said.

For the first time since she saw the article, Maxine blinked and frowned in reaction. "Whatever do you mean, Maxwell?"

He picked up the almost tattered papers from the floor and waved it in front of him to emphasize his point. "It is not mentioned that you are married."

Maxine stiffened. "No, no, I cannot—I cannot—"

"Bloody hell, Maxie, two uncles of us died as bastards and they have all fathered other bastards who are not living in Sheills with their own family. We are the last you have to be worried for," he snapped, standing to his feet.

The door burst open and Maxine gasped when she saw Lady Alice and Emma rush in with their brows furrowed and nose flaring, ready to fight a battle—whatever it was.

"Well?" Lady Alice asked, looking at Maxine and Maxwell. "What are you two doing here? Should you not be in the park flaunting yourselves?"

Maxwell groaned. "I told you," he said to his wife.

"Do not mind Mother, Maxine," Emma said, coming toward her and holding her hand, her face softening as she added, "You have to be strong, see? That is all that she means. Strong, Maxine, and dare not be ashamed."

"Horrible! Just horrible!" another voice shrilled. Maxine looked up and saw Ysabella storming into the room with her husband in tow. "They did not even manage to acquire a sketch or a photo of you!"

"Exactly what I said!" Lady Alice said. "Just Maxine—no face whatsoever! It can be anyone, dear!" She whirled to face Maxwell and asked, "You must visit their offices. Have them correct her name!"

When Maxine turned to her husband in confusion, her mind completely muddled by many serious matters about her birth mother, the Trilbys, Osegod and her bastardry, he simply rolled his eyes and explained, "What Mother wishes to do is that we demand that the Herald include the Everard name in yours." Her eyes widened in disbelief. "I did suggest something of the same earlier," he pointed out.

"N-no," she stammered, standing up. "I-I am sorry," she said to everyone. "I have to think. I believe I cannot do so at this time."

To her utter relief, no one said a word.

"Behave," she faintly heard Maxwell say to his family, adding to Wakefield, "Take them home," before he followed her to their chambers.

*****

Two days since the first article, Maxine still refused to discuss anything.

"You know I do not care, Maxie," Maxwell said to her as he entered their bedchamber and settled beside her in the bed. "But I do care that you care," he said. "For all we know, love, this can merely be a part of Osegod's plan to force us to agree to his demands. It is quite odd that the article came out merely days after you sent Amelia Trilby that letter."