Chapter 4

Chapter 4

*Aaron*

I got to school and met Fawn by her locker liked she wanted. This won't be an easy conversation. Fawn hates being rejected. She'll most likely lash out in some way just to show me how angry she is.

"There you are." Fawn said when I stopped at her locker. "Have you come to your senses?"

"I came here to tell you that we're not getting together." I said. "I'm in a relationship with someone else, someone who I really like. And just so you'll leave Victoria alone, I would have never gone out with you. You're not my type. You just don't do it for me. So I want you to leave Victoria alone. You and I can be friends, just like we've been all along. Okay?"

Fawn glared up at me. "Nobody rejects me, ever. You may be the most popular guy in school. And you may have almost every girl drop at your feet, but as soon as they see the trash you're going out with, you'll wish you stuck to your own kind. And when that happens, don't expect me to be here waiting."

She flipped her hair, hitting me in the face, before walking off. I rolled me eyes and headed to Victoria's locker. Fawn can be so dramatic sometimes. It's ridiculous. One day she'll realize that she's not as high and mighty as she thinks she is.

I got to Victoria's locker and found her reading a book. I walked up to her and placed my hands over her eyes. She closed her book and turned around to face me, a smile on her face.

"Morning." I greeted her. "You look beautiful as ever."

"Thanks." she said, her cheeks turning a light shade of pink.

"So when can we go on another date?"

"Tonight I have to work, but tomorrow is good."

"Then tomorrow it is." She smiled. "Eat lunch with me today?"
"With the popular people? I don't think that's a good idea."

"We can sit somewhere else. I'll let you pick the table."

"Okay then." she smiled. "See you at lunch."

*Victoria*

Lunch came around and I headed to the cafeteria. I smiled to myself as I thought about sitting with Aaron. I was a little disappointed yesterday when he couldn't stay and baby sit with me. I find myself thinking of him when I'm supposed to be doing something important. I really like Aaron and I'm lucky that he likes me back.

I entered the cafeteria and got my lunch. I chose an empty table and waited for Aaron. Soon he was sitting beside me. A smile came to my face.

"Hey." he greeted.

"Hi." I responded.

"Sorry I kept you waiting. My friends didn't want to let me go."
I felt a stare on me and looked up to see a group of people staring at me. In fact, most of the people in the cafeteria were looking in our direction. I guess this is what I signed up for when I decided to go out with Aaron Evans.

"Ignore them." Aaron said, making me turn my attention back to him. "All that matters is you and me." I grinned.

"I'm just not used to having so much attention on me."

"That surprises me with looks like yours. You should have everyone's eyes on you."

"Do you flatter everyone like this?"

"No, just you." he smiled. I smiled back. After just about every word that comes out of his mouth has me falling for him more and more.

"Maybe I should take off work today." I said.

"Why?"

"So I can hang out with you."

"Really? You'd take off work for me?"

"Just for today. Since we didn't get to hang out yesterday."

"You're sweet"

***

After school Aaron followed me home. I smiled just thinking about spending the rest of the day with him. I'm going to shorten my work hours to only a couple days a week. Charlie was right. I need time for my private life.

I pulled into my driveway and Aaron pulled in right behind me. He got out of his car and walked up to mine, opening the door for me.

"Thank you." I said with a smile.

"My pleasure." he grinned.

We went inside and Aaron came up behind me to wrap his arms around my waist. It felt strange for a moment to have his arms around me, but I quickly became used to it. I smiled when he placed a kiss on my cheek.

"So what do you want to do?" He asked, his breath tickling my ear.

I turned in his arms and our lips were only inches apart. I found myself glancing down at his. He smiled and I looked back up to his eyes.

"Let's talk." I said.

"Are you sure that's what you want to do?" he asked, still smiling.

"I know what you want to do and I assure you that it won't happen."
"Not today at least."

I grabbed some snacks from the kitchen then went to sit on the couch beside Aaron.

"So what do you want to talk about?" he asked me, taking a Dorito from the bag I brought in and placing it in his mouth.

"I don't really know when you're supposed to talk about this stuff in a relationship, but we should discuss how many people we've dated and how far we've gotten in those relationships."

"Okay, you go first."

"I've only dated one other person but that really only lasted about a month before I ended things. He was my first kiss and that was as far as we got. Your turn."

"Promise not to judge me?" I nodded. "You're the third girlfriend that I've had. The first two only lasted a couple weeks and I got all the way with them."

"So you're not... a virgin?"

"Far from it." he laughed. "To be honest I couldn't tell you how many one night stand I've had."

I heard that he was a player, but I didn't want to believe it with how nice he is to me. I can't picture him as a player.

"But you're done with that, right?" I asked him.

"Of course I am. I told you I've changed. I only have eyes for you. I promise."

"You don't mind that I am a virgin, do you?"

"No. I actually find you more adorable because of that."

I smiled. What's in the past can stay there. I believe that Aaron is changed. He's proved that to me. He's not the player that everyone says he is. He's a one girl type of guy now and that's all that matters.

The front door opened and my mom walked in. She looked at me and Aaron sitting on the couch and smiled.

"Hi." she said.

"Mom, this is Aaron." I said.

"It's nice to meet you." Aaron said, standing up and shaking my mom's hand.

"You must be the one who took her out the other night."

"That'd be me." he grinned.

"So are you staying for dinner?"
"Uh, I'd love to, but I have to be home for dinner. But maybe another time."

"Alright then. Well I'm going to get started on dinner."

*Aaron*

Victoria's mom went into the kitchen and I turned my attention back to Victoria. I glanced down at her full lips for about the fifth time today. I really want to kiss her right now, but her mom is just in the other room and I don't want to make her upset about moving too fast.

"Don't even think about it." she said, making me look up into her eyes.

"Think about what?" I smiled. "You were thinking about it earlier. Why not get it over with? We both want to."

"We've only been together for about three days."

"And? That's plenty of time. Come on."

I placed my hand on her cheek and moved closer. She glanced down at my lips again and I inched my lips closer.

"Just one won't hurt." I whispered. She reached up, her lips almost brushing against mine.

"Vicky." Victoria's mom said, making her pull away from me. "Do you want chicken or pork?"

"Um, chicken." Victoria said sounding a little flustered.

"You can't avoid it forever." I told her with a grin. "And when it comes you're going to be asking for more."

"In your dreams." she smirked.

For the rest of the time we sat on the couch and talked, getting to know each other better. I learned that her parents are divorced just like mine. I also found out that she likes sports. I asked her about football and basketball and she seemed to know a thing or two about them. When it was beginning to get late, I headed home.

I walked through the front door and found my mom sitting on the couch. Sophia's head was laid in her lap as she slept. My mom put a finger to her lips to tell me to be quiet.

"Why is she so tired?" I whispered.

"We went to the park then to the library for story time. And I took her to Chuck E. Cheese." she said quietly.

"You guys had an eventful day. I'll put her to bed."

I gently picked up Sophie, trying my best not to wake her. I cradled her in my arms as I carried her upstairs to her room. I placed her in her bed and pulled the blanket over her. I leaned down and placed a light kiss on her cheek.

I switched on her nightlight before closing her bedroom door and going back downstairs.

"So where have you been?" my mom asked me.

"I was hanging out with my girlfriend." I answered, plopping down on the couch beside her.

"Girlfriend? Since when do you have a girlfriend?"

"I took her out the other night and yesterday we made it official. You have to meet her some day. She's great." I grinned.

"And what does she think about Sophie, your daughter?"

The grin left my face as I thought about that. I don't know when I should tell Victoria about Sophie. I think I'll wait until she likes me more.

"She doesn't know." I said.

"Of course she doesn't. The only ones that know about Sophie is your family and Caleb. You refuse to let anyone else know."

"I'm not ashamed of Sophie. I just don't everyone in my business. I'm the most popular guy in school. People will be all over me asking questions."

"That's your problem. I need to talk to you."

"Oh, like we didn't just have a conversation." I said sarcastically.

"I'm going to ignore that." she sighed. "I have to go back to work."

I sighed. My mom quit her job right after Sophia was left with us and would take short summer jobs in the summer.

"Why?" I asked her.

"I've been tapping into my savings just to get us by. Money doesn't grow on trees."

"So what am I supposed to do with Sophie? I'm halfway through senior year. I can't exactly drop out."
"Find a daycare, pay a neighbor, I don't know."

"Can't we ask Phil for help?"

"Your father left us. Because you're 18, I don't even get child support anymore. We're on our own."

I groaned. I never expected something like this to happen. I'm still waiting to hear back from the places I applied to.

"I'll take a few weeks off school." I said. "I have straight A's, I can afford it."

"No, you're not taking off school. I'll stay home until we find a place. It shouldn't take long."
"Alright, fine. I'll start looking tomorrow."

*Victoria*

I woke the next morning and smiled to myself as I thought about Aaron. I wanted so bad to kiss him last night, but I'm afraid of moving too fast. I've never wanted to just make out with a guy, especially someone I've only known for a few days. There's something about Aaron Evans that I just can't resist.

I got up and went to take a shower. After, I combed through my curly hair as I blow dried it. I wonder if Aaron will eat lunch with me again today? I don't have work, I wonder if he'd come over again.

I dressed in light skinny jeans and a beige sweater. I slipped on a pair of ankle boot heels. I put on my usual makeup, mascara, eyeliner, and gloss. I smiled at myself in the mirror and went downstairs for breakfast.

"Getting dolled up for Aaron are we?' my mom asked.

I smiled and shrugged. "I want him to be attracted to me." I said.

"Sweetie, you don't need to dress up to do that. I saw the way he looked at you. He's already falling for you."

"I hope so."

I got to school and surprisingly I ran into Aaron on my way into the building. He looked me over and smiled. I blushed.

"You look great." he complimented me. "What's the special occasion?"

"I just thought I'd look good for you."

"You already looked good for me."

He wrapped his arm around me and pulled me close. It suddenly became extremely hot. I looked up into his bright blue eyes.

"You can't possibly expect me to wait with you looking like this, do you?" he asked me.

"Actually, I do. The right moment will come."

"You're such a tease."

He held my hand as we walked inside. I sucked in a breath when Fawn poured a hot cup of coffee over my head. My skin tingled from the heat. I stood there, wet and burned. I felt my makeup running down my cheeks, probably making me look even worse than with coffee all over me.

I looked up at Fawn who had a smirk on her face. She dropped the coffee cup on the floor and placed a hand over her mouth in mock shock, just like last time she poured something on me.

"Oops." she said. "I didn't see you there."

She laughed and walked away down the hall. My cheeks began to heat up as I heard peoples laughter around me. Aaron came around to stand in front of me.

"Are you okay?" he asked me.

"Don't look at me." I muttered, turning to look away.

"Let's find you something else to wear."

He took my hand and lead me down the hallway. Although I'm soaking wet, he wrapped his arm around my waist and held me close. I rest my head on his shoulder as we walked to the front office to find me clothes from the lost and found.

I don't know what Fawn's problem is, but I hate her. Usually I don't hate anyone, but I really do hate her. I've done nothing to her and she's making me a target. But at least Aaron isn't like everyone else. He didn't laugh at me like everyone else. Instead he wants to help me and now he's allowing himself to get wet by my soaking wet clothes. Is there anything that he can't do to make me fall for him?