Chapter 11

Chapter 11

*Aaron*

Today Victoria and I have been dating for a month and a half. Sophie still hasn’t warmed up to her so Victoria is going to spend the day with us. I’m hoping Sophie will warm up to her soon, because if she doesn’t I’m worried I may have to end things with Victoria. My girlfriend and daughter have to like each other.

“Daddy, no.” Sophie whined when I gave her the news. “She bad.” she looked up at me with a pouty face that just made me smile. She’s so adorable even when she‘s upset.

“You’ll get over it.” I said, picking her up. She threw her weight down in hopes of making it hard for me to carry her, but she’s only thirty-two pounds and I bench press two hundred.

I carried her down the stairs and into the kitchen to get breakfast. I sat her in the chair and she put her head down on the table.

“Throw a tantrum all you want, it’s not going to change anything.” I told her, cracking some eggs into a bowl.

“You’re mean.” she said.

I looked at her and she had her arms crossed and an angry look on her face. I wanted to smile at her cuteness, but I’d rather have her more cheerful.

“I’m mean?” I asked, making my voice sound sad. I poked out my bottom lip and made it tremble. “You hurt my feelings Soph.” I made my voice crack. “I can’t believe you said that to me. I thought you loved me.” I made a few sobbing noises and acted as if I was wiping away tears.

“No!” she yelled. I heard her hop from her chair and soon she was hugging my leg. “I’m sorry. No cry.”

I picked her up and kept my pouty face. She placed her small hands on either side of my face and looked into my eyes.

“You don’t think I’m mean?” I asked her.

“No.” she shook her head. 

“Good.” I smiled. “I love you.” I began to quickly kiss her all over her face and she began to laugh.

“I love you too.” she said through her laughter. “Stop!” she tried pushing me away.

“Okay.” I say, putting her down. “Go play until it’s time to eat.”

She ran off into the living room to play as I made breakfast. Hopefully I can keep her in a good mood up until Victoria gets here. Otherwise she’ll be crankier than ever. I want this day to go well. I at least want Victoria to be in Sophie’s good graces. We need something to build from.

***

The doorbell rang and I looked at my watch. It’s almost 10:00. Victoria’s a little early. I looked at Sophie who laid on the floor coloring a picture and singing softly to herself. Let’s hope this goes well.

I got up to answer the door. Victoria stood in dark jeans, a blue sweater, and black boots. She held a medium sized teddy bear in her hand.

“Hi.” she said with a smile. “I hope this is okay.” she gestured to the teddy bear.

“Though I don’t want you to buy your way into her heart, this one time is alright. And it may work.”

I let Victoria in and she stood awkwardly beside me. Sophie didn’t even look up from her picture.

“Sophie, sweetie.” I said, getting her attention. She looked up and her attention went straight to Victoria.

“Hi.” Victoria said, giving her a small wave. She slowly approached Sophie then knelt down to be more level with her. “I found this teddy bear and thought you might like to have him.” she held out the teddy bear to Sophie and Sophie’s eyes lit up.