Chapter 10

Chapter 10

*Victoria*

When people began to leave the bonfire, it was pretty late. Aaron and I had spent a while in the water and I was feeling pruney and cold. I wrapped my arms around myself as we walked across the beach to the now small fire. I sat down on a log in front of the fire to get warm.

“Here’s my jacket.” Aaron handed me his jacket.

“But I’m all wet.” I said.

“It’s only water.” he shrugged.

I smiled as I slipped on his jacket. It was big on me, making me wrap myself in it. It smelled like cologne, one he wears often. I could tell he was cold, but didn’t want me to know. I feel bad for taking his jacket, but I know if I tried to give it back he wouldn’t take it.

A large pile of sand brushed on top of the fire making it go out and the cold air blow through me. I shivered and wrapped myself tighter.

“What the hell Fawn?” Aaron asked, standing up from his spot.

“It was an accident.” she said. I could hear in her voice that it wasn’t.

I looked up at her and saw an innocent smile plastered on her face. Why is she so mean? What made her this way?

“And just so you know,” she turned her attention to me. “a couple of the guys thought it’d be funny to hide your clothes.”

My brows furrowed. “Why would you do that?” I asked her.

“Are you stupid?” she asked. “I said the guys did it, not me.”

“I’m not stupid, I’m smart enough to know better. We all get that you have a thing for Aaron, but he’s taken now, so get over it. You seem desperate, trying to get his attention. It’s pathetic. Do you not have a life? We do and we’d like for you to stay out of it.”

I’m not upset about my missing clothes. I have plenty of clothes. But I am sick of her trying to get Aaron’s attention.

“Can we leave now?” I asked Aaron.

“Yeah, sure.” he said.

He handed me his shirt and told me to slip it on. I did so as we walked to his car. It was big on me, stopping just above my mid thigh. He then handed me his jacket. I refused since I already have his shirt, but he wouldn’t take no for an answer. I slipped on the jacket and wrapped myself in it, feeling even warmer.

“I can’t believe you said that to Fawn.” he said. “You know she’s pissed, right?”

“Yeah, but I’m sick of her. And I can’t let you fight my battles for me. I need to stand up for myself.”

“I don’t mind fighting your battles against Fawn. I feel like I can shield you from her. I’ve seen her do some pretty bad things to people and I don’t want you to be one of them.”

We got in Aaron’s car and he took off towards my house. He turned the heat on in his car, almost making it feel like I was in front of the bonfire again. Soon we pulled into my driveway. I’m so warm now I don’t want to move.

“Despite what happened with Fawn, I had fun.” I said. “And thanks for letting me borrow your shirt and jacket.” I began to take them off but Aaron stopped me.

“Keep them.” he said. “You’ll be cold once you take them off. You can give them back to me later.”

“But…”

“It’s fine.” he cut me off and smiled.

“Thank you.”

“I’ll see you in school tomorrow.”