A Long Day

Prompt #2 was the lucky winner!

Ed walked inside, shut the door, and leaned against it with a sigh, closing his eyes as he focused on relaxing a moment.

"Ed?" Oswald's voice sounded from somewhere in the house. The smaller man appeared a moment later with a caring smile on his face. Upon seeing his tired expression, Oswald frowned.

"I'm fine," Edward assured him with another long sigh. "I just...had a long day."

"Again?" Oswald asked concernedly, taking one of Ed's hands in his own. "Come, sit down; I'll make some tea."

Ed shook his head and answered, "No I'm fine. I was just going to sit and read quietly for a while; don't mind me."

"I'm making you some tea," Oswald said sternly, though he was smiling gently. He kissed Ed's hand and led him into the living room, where he sat Ed down on the couch, wrapped him up in a blanket and asked, "Is there anything else you need?"

"No, of course not," Ed chuckled. "Really, I'm fine."

Oswald kissed his cheek sweetly. "I'll be back in a minute."

Edward smiled affectionately at him as he hobbled away. He reached over to the coffee table to grab his book and started to read in silence, at once beginning to relax in the flowing words typed out on the page. The book itself was good as well, but he found it difficult to concentrate somehow. His thoughts kept drifting to think of Oswald, and how thankful he was to have him in his life.

It was usually Edward's job to spoil Oswald, or at least that was how he saw it much of the time, not that he had any problem with it, but it felt amazing to be pampered himself for once. It was an unusual change, but for once he wanted to merely sit back and enjoy the feeling of knowing that someone loved him enough to be so concerned about his comfort.

After a minute Ozzy returned with two small cups in his hands. He handed one to Ed, who set his book down on the table and graciously accepted, taking a cautious sip of the hot liquid. Oswald began sipping at the other cup in silence.

"Thank you very much," Ed said with a broad grin on his face, blushing slightly.

"Of course," Oswald said, returning the smile. "I love you, Ed."

"I love you too," Ed answered.

There was a pause, then Oswald asked shyly, "Would you mind if I joined you?"

"Of course not," Edward answered happily, "I love your company."

Oswald set his cup down and sat on the couch beside Ed, moving cautiously to make sure he didn't disturb him too much. But Ed put the blanket around him and put an arm around his shoulders, drawing him closer, and Oswald rested his head on his shoulder, closing his eyes.

Edward took another sip of his tea and set it down, then drew Oswald into a tight embrace, snuggling close to him as he wrapped the blanket tighter around them. The Penguin just sighed contentedly in response and rested his hands on Ed's legs, rubbing them lovingly.

"You're so beautiful," Ed whispered softly into his hair, placing a kiss on the top of his lover's head.

Oswald blushed but kept quiet, giving Ed's knee a gentle squeeze to assure him that he heard.

"I love you so much," Ed continued. He kept whispering sweet nothings for a long while, rubbing Oswald's back and shoulders and kissing the top of his head every once in a while affectionately.

Eventually he noticed suddenly that Oswald had fallen asleep, and a warm smile pulled at the corners of his lips. Very slowly he shifted his position until he was lying down beside him on the couch, with Oswald snuggled comfortably between him and the back of the couch.

He kissed the top of his head again as he wrapped his arms firmly around him. Ed's fingers gently rubbed the expensive fabric covering his back, and he heard himself humming their song quietly, the only noise that disturbed the silence besides Oswald's steady breathing.

And Edward began wondering what he could have possibly done to deserve this: all of this unconditional love and affection, and attention, from the most beautiful person he had ever seen in his life. Unconsciously Oswald moved his hand over Ed's chest and sighed sleepily.

"I would do anything for you...you can always count on me," Ed murmured into Oswald's soft black hair for what must have been the hundredth time. "I love you more than anything...and I always will."

Voting time! Until January 16th I'm going to try to upload a new chapter every Monday around the time that new episodes are usually supposed to air, and you get to vote on which one I should upload!

1) A throwback to season two episode nine; an alternate ending to the scene that starts with Ed asking the memory riddle.

2) A prompt that was suggested a while ago by @GothamTrash: someone offends Oswald, so he and Ed team up to ruin their night (still in planning)

3) Though I'm nervous about it, a chapter of smut. It's pretty basic and not overly graphic and I'm nervous out of my mind of what you guys would think of it, but please, don't be afraid to ask! :P

4) Don't forget to make suggestions!!! :)