A Better Pill to Swallow

Hey everyone! I am soooo sorry about the late update...I have just been absolutely SWAMPED with schoolwork, trying to get caught up for the end of the semester, I've basically been working on this in every free moment I had for the past week and I FINALLY got it! that being said, I only have about one more chapter to post before the new episode (YES! THE TIME DRAWS NEAR!) but I'm not 100% sure I can keep to my schedule for next week either. But I will do my best! Thank you everyone for being patient, please enjoy <3 (and excuse any ooc parts...I haven't been able to watch gotham at all recently and I'm starting to feel a little separated from the show to be honest)

"I liiiight another candle, dry the teeears from face..."

"Why are you playing this song?" Oswald demanded, though his voice wasn't nearly as strong or as intimidating as he wanted. But whether it was because he was just waking up, or because of the emotions that stirred deep inside at the music, he couldn't have been sure.

At the sound of his voice Ed stopped playing and turned in his seat to face him, saying, "I can bring tears to your eyes and resurrect the dead. I form in an instant, and last a lifetime. What am I?"

"Memory," Oswald answered. "So what?"

Ed gave a gentle smile as he explained, "You were humming this under your covers, I figure it has meaning for you."

Oswald chuckled quietly and sat up a bit straighter in bed. "Every night when I was young, my mother would sing that song to me when I was...going to bed."

As he spoke, Ed walked over and settled softly on the edge of the bed with a look of curiosity and concern written on his face.

Then Oswald continued, with his voice cracking, "And every time...she would tell me, 'Oswald, you are handsome, and clever, and someday you will be a great man.' She would say that every time." He gave a light laugh, though there was a tear glimmering at the corner of his eye. "That's all I have left now: memories. And they're like daggers in my heart."

Ed smiled sadly at him. He had so idea that the song meant so much to him, or that it would encourage him to be so open and honest with someone he considered a stranger. A million possible responses passed through his mind, and Ed wasn't at all very sure of how he should proceed. He was tempted to use his experience with Miss Kringle to attempt and relate to Oswald, but after a brief thought decided against it. He wanted to befriend Oswald, and the best way to do that was to show that he could be there for him when he was hurting. Or at least, that was his hope.

So instead Ed scooted a bit closer and placed a comforting hand on Oswald's knee. When there was no reaction, he said, "Not forever. You may miss her more than anything, but you learn to find joy in other things."

"Like what?" Oswald challenged. "She and my empire were all I ever had. And now my mother's dead and all my people have abandoned me. I have nothing."

Ed looked into his eyes and saw only resignation there; Oswald truly had nothing. What the man needed was more than just a buddy: he needed a lot more, it seemed to Edward. It hurt to see such a small man brought low, and Ed could only think of one possible way that he could make it better.

He closed his eyes and leaned in to kiss Oswald softly on the lips.

"What the hell do you think you're doing!?" Oswald demanded as he pulled back from Ed.

So maybe that wasn't the best option either.

"I'm sorry," Ed half-heartedly apologized. Truthfully, it was better than he imagined it would be. "I just figured that if you had nothing to lose, it might be best for you to have a friend who-"