Chapter 9: European Toast and Peanuts

Paige:

Why? I've never had feelings before, so why start now?

I've never felt pain, or sadness, or not even much happiness. I've never felt anything in my life, let alone love.

Maybe it was just a phase, and that I'd eventually decide that my better judgement was being clouded by this stranger's sudden arrival. It's not my fault that this strapping young man sent me a gift and then continuously flirts with me. I mean, not that I'm complaining.

Don't get me wrong, I like Tony, but at the same time, do I really?

3am rolled by, and my mind was still bursting with creativity. I needed to do something. But what? I rolled out of bed and got out a pen and paper. Let's write! I thought, and began to write a story. This particular story was called "Bound by a Padlock," featuring Polly and Tom, who had uncanny resemblance to Tony and myself. I had gotten up to 8 chapters, but eventually, I got an immense case of writer's block, and set the pen down. Yawning, I walked down the hall to the couch where Tony slept, crawled on top of him, and fell asleep.

Tony:

I awoke to the scent of European Toast on the stove. It smelled quite delicious, and I was eager for breakfast. I got up and tiptoed behind the wild creature before me and poked her on both sides.

*Le time skip*

I eventually opened my eyes to see Paige sitting beside the couch, looking incredibly guilty. "I'm really sorry, Tony," she said. My hand found it's way to my forehead, where I felt extreme agony. "I, uh. You kinda scared me in the kitchen there, so um.." I looked in the direction of the kitchen and found the toast and a frying pan (with a my-head-shaped-dent in it).

"It's okay, love, but I must say I was really looking forward to your European Toast." One point for Tony, I thought, as I noticed her face turn pink. "What's the matter, looooovvee? Do you not like it when I call you looveee? Should I stop it, love?"

"Tony, I think my frying pan misses your face. Should I go reunite the two of you?"

"You see, Paige, this is why I like you. Even though it's evident you like me, you still refuse to admit it. It's hilarious." This is the part where she smacked my forehead and walked off. She mumbled something about going to buy dinner because 'screw cooking today.' Of course, I made sure she heard me say "I love you Paige!" before the door closed.

Paige:

I don't like him! I can't, can I? I mean, I can. I do. I don't know.

I eventually just decided to buy some peanuts.

When I walked back into the living room after my adventure at the grocery store, only to find Tony convulsing on the ground. "Tony?? Tony!! What's wrong?" I rushed over to the side of the couch and cradled his head in my lap. "Hey, calm down, okay? It'll be okay, I promise." I noticed his twitching was slowed. Was my talking helping..?

Tony:

"Hey, calm down, okay? It'll be okay, I promise..." Paige. The stars. Pie. Our kiss.. Come on, Tony.. Focus on Paige. She's here, it's okay. You're going to be okay, Tony. Breathe.

My twitching stopped, leaving Paige and myself laying on the ground practically crying. "P-Paige," I croaked, my throat dry and my lips quivering. "P-Paige, I'm sorry.. I should have told you about my.. Condition.. I have this tick.. I-I don't know what it's called.. I don't go to the doctor, so I don't know what's happening to me.. I twitch, I frequently worry, I talk to myself, I have ridiculous mood swings.." I closed my eyes and attempted to laugh. "I-it's almost like I'm a man with a period, huh? I'd like to thank you though. You've helped me through my trouble, and I'm feeling much better now." I sat up and kissed Paige on the cheek and smiled.

Paige:

I was confused, kinda angry, and also relieved. Why didn't he tell me about his condition? And he doesn't ever see a doctor? How? Even I go to a doctor every now and then. And how is he just better all of the sudden? "You were having a heart attack not even five minutes ago? What the hell, Tony?"

He smirked. "I can tell you were worried about me, Paige. It looks like you're not as heartless as you care to admit. Well, I mean, it's true that you physically don't have a heart, but still. It's a figure of speech, I suppose.. But I can tell you have feelings. You should probably just accept that now. After all, it's not like I'm going to die or anything. I mean, sure I'll have the occasional- oh, what was it, a heart attack, you said? I'll have the occasional heart attack, but it's not like I'll die from that." I cocked his head to the right like some lost puppy. I couldn't help but smile too.

"Whatever you say, you weirdo." I playfully shoved him onto the ground and stood up, offering my hands. Taking them, he also stood and hugged me. Maybe he's right? "Hey Tony..?"

"Yes, Paige?"

"I, um.. I love you too.."

End of Chapter 9.