Eight

She ran, she ran as far away from the school as she could without getting lost. She collapsed in the field of grass as tears escaped her eyes.

She couldn't stay calm, she tried so hard but she couldn't and after talking to the boy she couldn't think straight.
Just looking at the boy reminded her of the pin that had fallen which then lead to thoughts about her sister.

She cried for what felt like hours, she laid in the grass and covered her face trying to be quiet. She hated feeling like this, feeling like her whole world has ended.

"Hello?"

She sits up seeing the boy with the case standing in front of her,

"What happened?"

She looks up at the boy not saying a word.

"Keep your head up, your getting grass in your hair" he points at her hair

She feels the back of her head and pulls away small clippings of grass from her dark brown hair. She feels something hit her shoulder and finds a little green creature grabbing at her cheek, her eyes fill with surprise as she's never seen a bowtruckle in person before. She read about bowtruckles in her book of magical creatures, maybe it was a good choice to read that book.

"I'm terribly sorry" the boy says grabbing the green creature and placing it in his navy blue coat

"I'm sorry to have bothered you" he turns away tightening the grip on his case

She stares at her feet wiping the remaining tears from her face and she hears footsteps returning towards her

"I see your going through a rough time right now but it will get better" he smiles looking down at the girl

She's sick of hearing that, everyone tells her that, saying things will get better but they never do. Not for her at least.

"Remember" he pauses

"Stars can't shine without darkness"

He begins walking away and she can feel the tears return to her eyes, she liked having someone with her. She was sick of being alone.

With every step he was further away but she didn't want him to leave. This was her last chance to get him to stay and with one last sob she whispered-

"please don't leave"

And... he didn't. He turned right back around and sat next to the poor girl.

For the first time ever, someone finally stayed.