Chapter 15

Kara paced the DEO back and forth.

Alex was infiltrating the lab Lena had been known to frequent, her backup on hand should they take too long to return to the surface.

They were taking too long now.

Lena had exited and been gone for some time when Alex entered. The DEO had planted a camera on a corner outside of the jamming range of the lab's entrance, so Kara was able to catch a glimpse of her. Kara must have gone over her expression a thousand times in her head.

Lena looked tired, the bags under her eyes couldn't be hidden beneath that cool expression she always wore. Worry lines pulled at her mouth despite her attempts to look calm.

It made Kara ache to be there with her, but Lena asked her to stay away, and Kara was sort of respecting that. Physically.(AN /she asked her to stay away in order to pretend she was on her mothers side)

There was nothing from Alex. Winn was still trying to work his way around the communication jammers Cadmus was working with but they were 'quite sophisticated' and 'possibly alien' tech. He struggled to find a loophole he could work with.

They were in without an ear, without any eyes, and without any knowledge of what was happening. It was too risky.

"J'onn." Kara knew she sounded worried.
"We're sending him in now." J'onn confirmed.

He spoke a codeword. Kara knew what she saw on the camera, her eyes were just fast enough to decipher the red and blue blur that flew by, and recognize it as her cousin, Kal. Everyone else sat in silence, then they murmured, wondering if anything was happening.

They waited and waited and waited before Kara realized they had waited for far too long and it was much too late.

Everything had gone wrong with the mission.