Chapter 19

Kara's head was pounding.

She groaned as she opened her eyes. Everything was dulled but even still, the green light of her prison was too bright, the floor beneath her, too hard.

She pushed up on sore muscles and touched her tender temple. She winced at the pain she felt. She knew it to be bruised. Kara didn't bruise, but knowing she had one, that was an interesting thought.

Her hands were no longer shackled. It seemed her keepers felt they no longer needed them with her in a cell lined with lead and kryptonite.

"She awakens."

Kara closed her eyes at that voice. She knew that cold tone.

"Lillian Luthor." She mumbled. She opened her eyes to gaze at the smug woman.

Lillian smiled cruelly down at her.

"Amazing how a tiny green rock can take you and Superman down." Lillian taunted. "My son, Alexander taught me that."

Kara didn't respond. If the Luthor was there to gloat, she wouldn't give her the satisfaction.

"It's perfect, really." Lillian continued. "Now I have an endless supply of both yours, and Superman's blood to work with."

Kara clenched her fists. Her cell opened up. Hands grabbed her and dragged her to stand. A table was rolled into her cell. Hands pulled her onto it, despite Kara's struggles, she was too weak to stop them.
Kara saw the needle again.

This time they wouldn't need her to make herself powerless. She already was.

The needle pressed against her skin, ready to pierce and draw blood when the lights of her cell flickered.

Kara looked around in confusion. She saw Lillian looking around in alarm.

The needle snapped as the lights flickered off completely. Kara felt her muscles tighten, she was still slightly weak, but less so than before. She could at least fight like a normal person, maybe a little better.

Kara headbutted the lab tech nearest her. She clenched her jaw at the still tenderness of her slowly healing temple but she would manage. She leapt off the table to slam a fist into another Cadmus scientist. Kara turned on her next assailants, two Cadmus guards. They came at her, armed with batons lined with kryptonite. Kara avoided the weapons as the grabbed the two men by their heads and knocked them together.

They slid to the ground. She glanced back to where she saw Lillian Luthor on the opposite side of her cell who had now vanished.

Kara stepped out of her cell. Others were banging on their own prisons. The entire floor was cast in darkness, only emergency lights lit her way.

She moved down the passageway beyond her cell until she saw a familiar face: Alex.

"Alex!" Kara called.

"Kara!" Alex jumped up from the floor of her cell. She looked tired.

Kara grabbed at the door to the cell. It didn't budge. Kara knew she wasn't strong enough yet to break through. She needed another solution.

Kara looked around, then remembered the men she had left lying on the ground. She hurried back to them. One of them had a set of keys. Kara picked it up and ran back to Alex's cell.

Alex fell into Kara's arms as she was released. They held onto one another as if they had missed one another for years rather than a couple of days.

"Clark?" Kara asked as she pulled away.

"They took him away somewhere, hours ago." Alex looked worried.

"Kara, how did we escape?" Alex wondered, she was puzzled, confused.

Kara didn't understand it either.

"I'm not sure, but maybe we can find out when we find Kal." Kara told her sister.

"Kara." Alex reached out for Kara as she turned away. Kara faced her again.

"Lena is working with Cadmus." Alex informed her. Kara shook her head.

"I don't believe that." Kara refused. She pulled away and turned back towards finding their way out.

Kara didn't say why, she just knew she had to believe in what she said next, "I have to believe, she's better than that."