Chapter 16

Lena didn't return to Cadmus Labs until a day later.

Her plan was simple: Get her mother to trust her, learn her mother's plans, interfere where possible without any suspicion being cast on her.

When she made the call to her mother, her mother asked to see her. She wanted to see for herself, to see her in person, to know that Lena was on their side.

Lena hated every minute of it, but she played the part of the willing daughter, eager to gain her mother's approval. It made her skin crawl.

Now she was returning to the labs, to begin work. Her mother wanted her to come in and see a "special project" Cadmus was involved in.

Lena knew it didn't bode well, if it made her mother sound so happy.

As the elevator dinged she took a deep breath. It opened to one of her mother's lackeys waiting.

"If you'll follow me, Miss Luthor." He led the way. Lena hid her annoyance at the name. Now more than ever, she hated the name of Luthor.

She followed as she was led past windows that peaked into labs where scientists worked with chemicals, glowing minerals, and in one, a man lay on a bed, tubes holding glowing liquids nearby.

She tried to ignore it all.

She was lead downstairs and down and down. The man led her to a set of doors. He held his hand up to a lock, then looked up into a camera before the doors opened. He beckoned for Lena to follow down a passage.

The walls were a plethora of glowing colors down the passageway as they went. Lena glanced to her left and right and realized cells, made of reinforced glass and well-locked were located along the passageway.

There were people inside. People and aliens alike. She hid her discomfort until she came upon a cell with someone inside that she recognized. She tried not to react but she heard fists slam against the glass walls.

Lena stopped and turned to look at one, Alex Danvers.

"WE SHOULD HAVE NEVER TRUSTED YOU!" She heard Alex roar through the glass. Alex's face was twisted in harsh anger. It would have shaken Lena, if Lena believed her.

Lena kept a cool face as she regarded Alex. She didn't say anything. She wouldn't.

"Miss Luthor?" Her mother's lackey caught her attention.

Lena turned away from Alex, she could hear her yelling at her not to turn her back on her, but she it was the only way she would figure how to get Alex out, eventually. She had to keep up her pretense.

Lena followed her mother's lackey further in, when she saw him.

His cell was walled in green. He was shackled with that same green rock Kara had once been pierced with.

He looked weak, kneeling in his blue and red uniform so like hers. He was so unlike her though, in how he regarded Lena.

He managed to straighten himself, to push that 'S' out in that self-righteous manner he always did. His eyes, so like Kara's, but devoid of the warmth, the trust and the kindness with which Kara usually showed Lena.

"Never trust a Luthor." He said in that self-righteous tone. Lena didn't flinch at it. She knew better.

She would prove them all wrong.