TWO

Fern gasped and woke up abruptly, her mind raced from the vivid dream and her body was sweating from the fear. His voice had sounded as though he was standing right there beside her, floating into her ear, as if she was still in his presence and she was trapped again. A solitary tear line could be vaguely felt on her cheek and her breathing was noticeably irregular. When she blinked, she noticed her eyelashes were wet, an obvious indication that she'd been crying in her sleep again.

It was just a dream.

It was just a dream.

She repeated to herself insistently, but she didn't believe the words. They weren't true. It was real.

It was just a dream.

But his whisper was right beside her and she thought she could feel the cold touch of his skin skim over her cheek. Her heart leapt as her breath hitched and she hauled herself off the bed, throwing herself to the other side of the room to get out of his presence. When she managed too look back over to where she'd felt his presence, he seemed to have appeared sitting on the edge of her bed with his smirk. The soft orange glow from the bud of his cigarette, in-between his fingers, cast a light over his rough features giving him the appearance of a sinister man, which is just what he is. This time her single tear turned into sobbing, as she pushed her back against the wall and slid down it.

"I miss you, sweetie" His hoarse voice spoke, enveloping the silence in the air. Her fingers visibly shook and her palms grew damp with her growing fear. His voice almost became lost behind the sound of her heart thudding harshly against her rib cage, almost. He brought the cigarette to his lips and inhaled, his eye contact never leaving hers, as the flaming bud of his cigarette illuminated the room. His eyes seemed darker than the night, as they bore into hers, and his lean frame seemed predatory as he stood up from the bed.

"How did you find me?" She responded, her voice coming out barely as a whisper. He chuckled, sending shivers down her spine as he slinked towards her confidently. He squatted in front of her shaking form, pushed against the wall with fear, and tilted his head back. The thick smoke left his mouth in a weightless grey cloud. Then his eyes dropped to meet hers.

"I will always find you, baby, always." She gulped. It's just a dream.

"I can't be with you anymore" She rushed out, trying to lessen the weight from her shoulders. It was so heavy. But he chuckled.

"Sure you can, don't be stupid. We're in this together."

"No—I can't. Please, it's too much." She let out a quiet sob. He laughed this time.

"You have nothing," He reminded her with an arrogant smirk and took hold of her chin, forcing his strong gaze onto her, "I'm all you have, baby." He left me with a wink.

Howl

"Fern! Hey, wake up!" Another gasp escaped Fern's lips and her eyes opened. Leah stood over her bed with a frown and arms folded. "You were calling out in your sleep. You okay?" Quickly pulling her thoughts together, she nodded.