TWENTY THREE

"How was training?" Sue asked Fern as she slid into the front seat of the car. Fern's tired eyes glanced at Sue as she slumped in the seat, spent with effort. Running all those laps had stripped her of any energy she had left remaining and, especially after this morning, she felt like she had nothing left to give.

"Terrible, the coach made us run all these laps and I felt like I was going to die" Fern exclaimed with exasperation, leaning back into the chair and closing her eyes, feeling the car move into drive.

"What happened with the receptionist?" She blatantly asked, her tone indicating that she wasn't impressed, but it also remained passive still. Fern shifted in her seat.

"I don't know" Fern mumbled, looking out the window and up at the overcast clouds in the sky. They looked down at the ground grey and angry. She suspected that it would rain soon.

"Why did you snap at her?" Sue asked, glancing at her. Fern felt too embarrassed to tell Sue the truth about what prompted her to be so hostile to the receptionist because the truth branched from the fact that she was feeling something for Paul. Fern knew growing an attachment to Paul was stupid and reckless because, in the long run, it would only cause her more harm than good.

"She was treating me like a child" Fern improvised. Sue glanced at her with a passive look.

"Oh." Sue clucked her tongue. "I think there is more to it." Fern let out a sigh and squeezed her eyes.

"That's the reason, Sue," Fern glanced at Sue's calm features. "She was treating me like scum and I wasn't going to take it." Sue glanced at her, eyes scrutinizing the tired girl's response. Sue knew there was more to it, but wasn't able to ask Paul how she was when he dropped her off because all the members were preoccupied with ensuring the threat was gone.

"A detention isn't going to look good on your progress report" Sue reminded Fern. Fern's eyes opened.

"I know, Sue, but she was being a royal bïtch" Fern responded disgruntled. Sue sent her a look that told her to mind her language.

"I'm sorry she patronised you and I understand that you felt belittled, but snapping at people isn't the an effective way of getting your message across to people. Sometimes it's better to take a deep breath, try and relax your shoulders and respond to the situation in a calm voice" Sue advised her. Fern had heard the same thing from Garrett and was taught that exact thing. But the fire in the pit her stomach was fierce at the time.

"I'll try next time" Fern promised. Sue nodded, not completely convinced but knew that the girl had to begin learning at some time and the process wasn't going to have instant results. Sue continued to ask Fern a few more questions about her day to continue the conversation, until they reached the house. In the driveway, sat Finn's car and she assumed he was inside it waiting for her. She released a groan as Sue turned to her with a questioning look.

"We were partnered for this stupid history assignment...the teacher is really rooting for us to hook up or somethin'" Fern mumbled, gathering the strap of her bag and waited for the car to pull to a stop in the garage for her to haul herself out.