TWENTY SIX

The two troubled souls were awakened from their light slumber by the sound of loud knocking. Nate let out a throaty groan, not wanting to leave the peaceful state that proper sleep sent him to, as Fern's brows furrowed at the burning image of his eyes and lingering scent.

"Tell housekeeping to fück off" Fern grumbled, body rolling away from Nate's body. Nate grunted, not thrilled by the rude awakening, and rolled off the mattress, letting out a hiss when his feet hit the cool carpet (that wasn't of top quality). A gentler groan left his lips when the cold motel air hit his bare chest. Another series of knocks rapped against the wooden door.

"I'm coming, relax" Nate grumbled and wiped sleep from his eyes. He unlocked the door and opened it, looking at the two faces that he'd only seen on photographs and muttered a curse. What were they doing standing on the other side of his door?

"Good afternoon!" The woman's chirpy voice irritated him. He sent her a nod and glanced at the rigid man, greeting him with a nod as well.

"Did Chief Swan send you?" Nate mumbled, looking between the couple. Their posture was impeccable and their brown eyes stared back at him full of energy. The woman nodded enthusiastically and pushed passed him into the room, a bounce in her step as she did so. Fern let out a groan when more light streamed into the room and wrapped the sheets tighter around her body.

"Fern Winters?" The woman called out softly and knelt by the bed. Fern opened her eyes, inspecting the perfect face of the woman in front of her. Her skin appeared flawless, as though it had never grown a pimple in her life, and her eyes appeared full of life. Her short brown hair looked just as healthy and softer than a feather. How did this woman have so much energy?

"Who are you?" Fern mumbled, sitting up from her position on the bed. The cold hit her bare skin uncomfortably, but Fern worried more about their guests. The woman smiled.

"I'm Alice and this is my partner, Jasper. You're a little far from home, you know?" Alice questioned, her vibrant smile still shining on her perfectly full lips. Fern glanced over at Jasper, who stood by the dining table with his arms behind his back passively, and noticed that he, too, appeared to have flawless skin. There was an odd feeling that seemed familiar to her about them—but she knew she didn't know them and struggled to pinpoint what she was feeling. Nate walked around the bed and picked up his shirt, slipping it over his body, all while remaining silent.

"Home? You mean La Push?" Fern asked, running her fingers through her hair less healthy hair. She should consider asking Sue to take her to a hairdresser soon. Alice nodded.

"Of course, they're looking for you. They're worried about you, particularly since you're running around with new information." Alice whispered the last part. Fern frowned, her brain processing what Alice had just said before she started connecting the dots. Her eyes shifted between Alice and Jasper, realising that their flawless skin looked too perfect for that of a human. Never had Fern seen such alluring pale skin, and she had met a lot of people in her short life.

Fern's breath hitched in her throat as she pushed herself to the other side of the bed and stumbled off the bed, standing to her feet, ignoring her lack of proper clothing. She was still only wearing her shorts and tank top. Her quick movements alerted Nate, making him straighten his spine and flick his alertness switch on, however he also became confused. Chief Swan had assured him that these Cullen's were the good guys.