FOUR

Fern hadn't been too sure what to expect from a meeting with a school principal. The last time she'd been at school was a young teenager and those memories had faded through the years of compartmentalising all that she'd been through since. The only real authority figure she'd had in the last few years was Enzo, whom was a demanding man with twisted ideas of behaviour standards, and then Garrett, whom was a patient and kind man who tried to unteach so many of those poorly ingrained ideas that had been planted in Fern's mind. Therefore, the concept of sitting in front of this stranger, who had more ideas of how Fern should be behaving was just another pill to swallow. 

They'd discussed a basic outline of what they required from Fern in terms of behaviour and participation; that including no skipping class, passing all courses, must participate in one or more extra curriculum activities and avoid detentions at all costs. Fern held onto her mask over her facial expression the entire speech, a skill she had learnt a long time ago, and kept her tone even whenever she made an interjection. For a moment, she wondered what the principal thought of her based from her file; did La Push see many kids come through their quiet town with circumstances like Fern's or were they only accustomed to raising good, quiet kids? That had been Fern's next curious thought. Just how exactly was she supposed to integrate with these kids her age who had only known of this peaceful small town. Fern wondered just how well she was going to fit in with the students of La Push High.

Finally the principal finished his lecture about the conditions and rules and after hearing all of the restrictions Fern was being held to, she couldn't help the feeling of agitation wash over her. Fern was still getting used to the idea of restrictions and those different behavioural expectations, in fact it was the reason that Fern was sitting in front of the principal that cold morning. Fern's inability to be restricted led to a decision that pushed her into further restrictions. It was the difficult transition Fern was still coming to terms with; from having nearly no reins to being pulled into a frame that she didn't always want to be in.

After the speech, Sue offered to stay and accompany Fern to her first class, but Fern shook her head. She had wanted to do this on her own and, even though Fern hadn't been to school in a long time, she had a feeling it wouldn't start too well if her guardian walked her to class. These were teenagers after all. Sue had put forward a soft smile and left her with optimistic parting words. Sue reminded Fern of Garrett, offering positivity wherever he could to make the best of a situation rather than allow her to suffer in the worst. The principal led her to her first class and opened the old door. Fern peered into the room and was met with numerous faces of curiosity, all of which turned to stare at her all at once.

"Oh, come in! Class, this is Fern. I trust that you'll show her the ropes of La Push High," the teacher introduced in a bubbly tone, beckoning Fern into the morbid looking room. There were a few posters stuck to the walls that attempted to offer life and education to the room, but all Fern could see were a bunch of desks and kids her own age staring at her. Gingerly Fern approached the teacher at the front of the room and did her best to meet most eyes in the room. "Tell us something about yourself." Numerous thoughts ran through her brain of what she could say. Her brow tipped upwards in thought.

"I'm a girl" Fern responded. The teacher seemed momentarily perplexed as she registered her words whilst others in the class let out a snicker.

"Okay, very good. Why don't you take a seat next to...Parker? Parker, raise your hand, please" The teacher called out and Fern looked out for a raised hand. "Parker!" A kid at the back at the room, whom was initially looking down at his crotch, jumped. Fern frowned in confusion.