THREE

The following morning, Fern found herself waking up startled, the mist of unfamiliarity taking a moment to clear before the realisation set back in. Fern wasn't one to sit in bed after waking up, the idle motion pulled her too deep into her thoughts; something Fern wanted to avoid. She got out of bed and made her way downstairs.

Fern's entrance seemed to spark life into the room, as Sue and another man looked up at her from the dining table. They seemed to be huddled close to one another, giving the impression that she'd just walked in on a private conversation. The man rose from his chair and greeted the girl with a tight-lipped smile.

Sue looked at the girl in a new light, after hearing about the events of last night through Leah and Paul. Sue knew that Fern had no idea, but she just became an even more important person to help out of the dark tunnel. This girl, she'd taken in to care for and help guide back onto her path, now had another direction her life could lead her down and Sue hoped she'd help see that path. Suddenly, it had all become more personal for Sue.

Fern noticed the way she was being seen, not simply looked at, as though Sue was seeing and searching for something deeper. It made her nervous and immediately want to run for the door.

"Fern, this is Sam Uley," Sue introduced. Sam extended his hand to hers and they shook. Fern had noticed that his hand was very warm; it was comforting against the cold she'd already felt in La Push (even in the short time of being in the town).

"Welcome to La Push." His voice was gruff and deep, seeming to match his broad frame.

"Thank you." Fern sent Sam a small smile, before turning her eyes towards Sue. "I'm going for a walk through the forest, Sue."

"No," Sue shook her head, surprising Fern. "You have school." School? She almost laughed at the word. But, instead she froze at the edge of the table from the sound of the foreign word. It had been joked around and used loosely in mockery around her for the past few years, but never had she heard it used in the serious tone like Sue had said it with. Fern had never given it too much thought, since she hadn't been to school in a long time. Garrett's wife had been a teacher for the kids at their home, but with Fern being so new to their program and then getting into trouble so quickly, she hadn't proceeded into that stage. She'd done a little bit of work, but nothing like what some of those other kids were doing.

"School?" She repeated out loud, testing the word on her tongue.

"Yes" Sue confirmed, lifting her mug to her lips to take another sip.

"I don't recall coming here for school" Fern muttered. She felt a string of nerves rush through her and reach the tips of her fingers. She tried to push them away before they triggered her cravings.

"Garrett told me you hadn't been to school in a couple of years and we thought it would be good if you went back to get your high school diploma, seeing as you are still of age. I spoke to the school board and they agreed to accept you under a couple of conditions that you must comply to," Sue began, her voice soft and assuring, "You'll have to attend class, join a club to show participation and pass your classes with an average mark." Fern's brain felt as though it was on the verge of exploding. She couldn't do this.

"No." Sam interjected to back Sue up.

"It might be a good idea, Fern, you'll meet people from the Reservation as well" Sam suggested, tone optimistic. No, Fern's head shook.

"I want to talk to Garrett" Fern panicked. Her palms grew with sweat and there was a slight tremble in her legs that she hadn't felt in a while. She tried to swallow the craving away, but it was clawing its way up her throat. Sue thought for a moment.