EIGHT

"Littlesea?" Fern quizzically glanced at the guy and turned back to Collin, whom, judging from the way his breath hitched and he mumbled a curse word beneath his breath, told her that this wasn't going to be pleasant surprise.

"Finn." Collin reluctantly responded, nodding at the guy. Fern instantly noticed an awkward silence fall over the pair, which confused her since Collin didn't seem like the type of guy to be speechless. This new guys eyes held something fierce within—Fern wasn't sure with what though. His hand pushed his long shoulder length hair back and his nose and eyebrow piercing glistened when the ceiling lights shone above him.

"Aren't you the chick who punched Mindy in the face?" Finn questioned, his eyes glancing over Fern with curiosity. 

"Yeah, so what?" Fern's defence walls shot up high, as she crossed her arms over her chest. Finn chuckled, clearly amused by her defensive tone.

"Just a question, can't say I blame you," His attention turned to Collin, "That's some milk you guys have there." Collin nodded stiffly.

"It's for Sam" Collin responded. His shoulders tensed and every fibre within Collin wanted to be further away from Finn. Being in his presence was making him feel uneasy and the sooner he left it the better.

"Oh, right...Samuel Uley," Finn drawled his name with distaste, as if he ate a lemon, "The infamous cult leader." Fern's eyebrows rose at this one and unfortunately Finn noticed. "Aw, you didn't know?" She cleared her throat, scolding herself for making her expression so obvious.

"No, that was me wondering why you cared so much, that's all" She retorted, sending him a fake smile. Finn returned it—equally entertained.

"Well, that guy's done a bit of damage around here..." Finn trailed, folding his arms over his chest and glared at Collin. 

"Should I pull up a chair and grab a tissue box...?" Fern pouted. Finn narrowed his eyes at her. 

"You've moved in with sweet ol' Sue Clearwater, haven't you?" This comment unnerved Fern slightly, but this time she did her best not to show it. 

"What's it to you?" 

"Well, since you've asked, he did break off an engagement with her daughter just to get with her cousin. Caused a bit of a fuss around here. Oh, and broke up friendships." Finn's eyes moved to Collin. "Nothing major." Fern chose not to listen too closely to the beginning of his speech, but filing it away in the back of her mind.

"Aw, you feeling a bit lonely, now?" Fern teased, watching the anger gradually grow in Finn's eyes and the entertainment vanish quickly. Collin looked at Fern warningly and uttered her name.

"You wouldn't you be a tad bitter?" Finn wondered, with a narrow of his eyes.

"Finn, come on, it wasn't like that" Collin mumbled. Fern noticed him grow uncomfortable.

"Yeah, I would," Fern agreed sarcastically and deliberately paused, only to look back up at him whilst feigning excitement, "But I would pull up my big girl panties and get over it." She sent him a wink. His jaw clenched this time.