Dear Sister Dana

Chapter Three! Finally finished it! Hope you like it!
----

BEEP BEEP BEEP!

I woke up to my really annoying alarm clock that was supposed to wake me up at six o'clock. It was a Monday today, so I had to go to school.

"Dana, wake up!" I yelled, jumping out of bed. I knew she didn't have an alarm clock and I had to wake her up or she would stay in bed all day. I couldn't really blame her, six o'clock was way too early for my taste. I heard a thud from downstairs.

"Don't yell at me!" came the reply. Well, at least she was awake. I ran to the bathroom and showered quickly. I threw on some clothes. I had on a gray hoodie with very old, ripped jeans. I put my dark brown hair up into a ponytail. I quickly brushed my teeth and made sure I was presentable. I went down the stairs and was about to knock on Dana's door but she opened it first.

She pushed her lips in a thin line when she saw my outfit. Dana had on a girly tank top with short cut jean shorts and some flats. Her dark brown hair was straight and styled and she had green eye makeup on to match her eye color. She may have only been eleven years old, but she looked and acted like she was a teenager. She opened her mouth, but I beat her to it.

"No, I'm not changing," I huffed, turning away. I heard her give a deep sigh but followed me down the stairs.

"What would you like for breakfast?" I asked. She gave me a look but answered.

"Oatmeal with strawberries, why?"

"I make breakfast, you get our bags together, deal?"

"Fine."

I went to the pantry and got all of our materials. I was going to have cereal with blueberries. I quickly made her oatmeal and made my cereal all within ten minutes.

Dana came into the room holding two bags. My bag was all black with five big pockets and two hidden ones. Dana's had flowers and designs like the adult coloring book pictures. Her bag was super colorful while mine was dull and monochromatic.

She placed them by the table while I set down our breakfasts on the table. We sat together and ate quietly. She looked kind of uncomfortable about what happened yesterday.

"Did you find anything or any leads?" she asked quietly with a hint of sarcasm. I give a low sigh.

"Dana, I'm very sorry about yesterday. I just wasn't myself."

"Then why do you still search for them? I know they're not real- and you know... or should know that. They. Are. Not. Real. Why are you wasting your time?" I listened to her argument closely and silently, knowing she had the right to speak her mind. After she was done she looked at me closely like she was trying to figure me out.

"You're right," I said quietly. Her eyebrows knit in confusion.

"What did you say?"

"You're right." She looked at me in confusion and wonder.

"Then why do you do it?" she asked.

"I don't know," I said honestly, "but I feel like I need to do it. I have this curiosity inside of me that just has to know. You know what they say, curiosity killed the cat. That's what happened. But I feel almost compelled. You say they're not real. I say they're not real but I don't believe it. I feel as if it's my duty to try to find them.

"Our great... well, you know who, may have not been a werewolf hunter but then what was he? Maybe they are real but have been hidden." Dana just stared at me, taking all of what I said in.

"Maybe they have a reason to be hidden," Dana said, "but I know I'm not going to be able to change your mind so I might as well stop." A big smile filled my lips and I moved over a chair and drew her into a hug. She seemed surprised but embraced me too.

"Truce?" I ask, holding out a hand. She hesitated.

"Truce."

------

Dana and I, wearing all of our winter gear and backpacks, walked out of the house and stepped into ankle deep snow. Dana immediately started shivering. I wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her in to share my warmth. Dana leaned into and whispered in my ear.

"I hate school," she said, ever so calmly. I chuckled.

"Me too," I whisper, "Why are we whispering?" Dana started to laugh.

"I don't know but at least we have one thing in common," she said, rather loudly. I shook my head at her in amusement. We walked in silence.

I looked into the snowy forest that was filled with dark secrets. I wished with all my heart that I knew whether or not werewolves are real. To me, they were real in their own sort of way. To others, it's unbelievable. Like Dana. She would never believe until she sees one.

Maybe it was because I was lonely. That I had no real human friends. That my parents didn't like me. Maybe I wanted to know that I wasn't the only one in the world that was truly different. Cause out there in those very woods could be a different life, a different story, to make things right, but instead I was probably the only weird one in this town.

Dana and I had about half a mile to walk in the way below freezing weather, thanks to our parents. Sometimes I feel like I was adopted by the way they act towards me. Dana was probably the only person I could truly trust.

"What're thinking 'bout?" Dana asks. I look towards her startled.

"You," I said, watching as her cheeks turn red. She let out a startled 'oh.'

Dana was in sixth grade while I was in tenth grade but our school supported grades 3-12 so we could go to the same school. Dana may look like one of those pretty girls that didn't even know anything but she was actually very smart and her favorite subject was science. I don't know how she likes science, because she's getting A's, and I get C's. She once told me that she wants to be a scientist when she grows up but hasn't said anything about it since.

I was an average student and got about average grades except for the occasional C's or D's. My favorite subjects are languages like french or even german, math, and mythology.

I, honestly, have absolutely no idea what I want to be when I grow up, I haven't really thought about it that much. I know I should think about but I don't, my mind is occupied with those freaking werewolves.

We arrived at the bus stop at 7:03 so we have to wait two more minutes in the cold. There were only two other students looking about 9 and 11. They were hunched up together, one showing the other some video on his phone. Dana and I huddled together in my huge coat.

"Why did mom and dad pick to live in North Dakota?" Dana asked, probably more to herself than me.

"I don't know. Why don't you ask them? You seem to be closer to them than me," I said. The words came out more harshly than I meant to and Dana flinched, looking at a loss of words.

"I'm sorry. I'm just cranky and cold," I said, quietly. Dana nodded but looked kind of uncomfortable. I sighed. Way to go, Athana, I thought to myself, you made her sad. I pulled her in closer and rested my chin on her head.

Our bus came a few minutes later and I mentally cursed our bus driver for being so late. We all got in the bus and sighed. The heat was on, returning life to all of my limbs. I gently pushed Dana into the next empty seat. The bus was always crowded but actually pretty quiet most of the time. Dana and I huddled together, looking out of the window and seeing the snow fall.

"Winter and fall looks so beautiful in snow," Dana said, her eyes sparkled. I smiled at her. At least I had her.
-------

Please Comment and Vote!