Close Call

I spent the rest of breakfast talking to my new friends or 'buddies' as they liked to call themselves. They helped me out and explained some new tricks. John tried to show me how to throw a knife the right way but I don't think I was following along very good. Mason was still being all cocky. I wonder how he even survives this type of lifestyle. Cole has been friendly and easy to talk to. I felt like I had known him my entire life.

Then a whistle blew, a loud wolf whistle that made me want to cover my ears.

About ten guys in black suits with buzz hair cuts came into the room and started to go to each table. A young guy about seventeen approached our table. He put his hands on the table and gave John a dirty look. John threw up his hands.

"I know! I know! Get out or I'm going to throw you out, right?" John said defensively. Cole grabbed my arm and pulled me up. John and Mason exchanged a glance with Cole before leaving.

"About ten to ten they start to kick us out and we have no say in the matter. If you don't leave before ten then they'll take your weapons and money then kick you out without a job," Cole explained, leading me to the door.

I nodded.

He stopped when we got to the doors.

"What?" I asked. Cole chuckled.

"Well, I'm not going into the girls bathroom so this is where I leave you," Cole explained. It took me a moment for my brain to click and understand. When I first came down here I entered from the girls bathroom. A deep red spreaded throughout my face.

"I'm sorry- I -I didn't mea-"

"Hey, no problem. It's all fine. It doesn't really matter. A lot of people forget. Well, good luck for your first day." Then he was gone.

I took a deep breath, hardly believing that all of this was actually happening. I took one last good look around before stepping back into the girls' bathroom. I guess I was going too slow because the girl behind me pushed me roughly out of her way, stomping around and heading through the door.

"Jeez, guess I wasn't going fast enough for you, eh?" I say sarcastically under my breath. She spun around on her heels and gave me a wicked smile except her two top canine teeth were... Oh god! She was a vampire. My mouth opened in shock and horror. I quickly bowed my head, submitting to her. I had read that that might help in one of my supernatural books.

"Good. Next time you're my dinner," the girl said with another wicked smile then walked out the door, putting on a black leather jacket. I sighed in relief. I had to be much more careful now. I didn't want to die on my first day of my job.

As I passed the front desk the clerk just stared at us. I wonder how she feels about her job. Oh gosh! A thought had just come to me. Was she even human? Now that I knew these creatures were real I would never know when they might be around or who they would be pretending to be.
-----

Sorry that it's so small but I just wanted to add a couple more details for the Haven and the supernatural.

Comment and Like