Chapter 14

CAROLINE'S POV

When I got back to Taylor's I was very hyper, I'd just gotten done with my third day of high school. That wasn't why I was hyper though, I was hyper because tonight I would get to FaceTime with my dad. My day at school wasn't as stressful as yesterday, I was slowly, but surely starting to get the hang if things.

Taylor wasn't home, she had just dropped me off here and then had to jet off to some work thing. I took this time to turn on the radio in her kitchen and dance like a fool, I'd seen Taylor do it once before, but I didn't join her. I danced around, knowing that she wouldn't be home for another two hours. And then another two hours after that I'd be talking to my dad, I could hardly contain my excitement.

I danced around until I was out of breath. It would still be an hour until Taylor got home. I decided to take a shower, I wanted to look good when I finally got I see my dad. I went upstairs and showered, got dressy clothes on and brushed out my wet hair.

Before long Taylor walked through the door. She put her purse down on the table and tatted walking towards me at the table.

"Did you shower?" She asked as she sat in the chair next to me and touched my wet hair.

"Yeah!" I told her while fixing my hair that she just touched.

She started making supper and the minutes dragged on. I couldn't wait any longer, I just wanted to talk to him already. After 2 painstakingly long hours it was finally time. He was supposed to call Taylor's computer at exactly 8 o'clock. I sat at with the laptop on my lap just waiting. Taylor was doing dishes from supper in the kitchen, I think she wanted to give me privacy.

And just like he said, exactly when the clock turned to eight, he called. I clicked answer as soon as I could. When I saw him in his army uniform sitting there I almost started crying, but I held myself back. We talked for the longest time, we both caught up with each other. He asked me how being with Taylor was, but I didn't want to be too loud since she was in the next room.

"Is Taylor there?" He asked with his eyebrows raised, looking around like he would be able to see her. Taylor heard him and sat down beside me so he could see her. The three of us talked for another half an hour until he told us that his time was up and he had to go soon.

"Okay, well I guess I'll talk to you another time." He told me.

"There's a letter in the mail that should get to you any day." He added before I could say anything.

"Okay, did you get mine?" I asked

"Yeah, yeah I did, alright, I've gotta go now, love you Caroline."

"I love you dad." I told him, getting a little emotional, but doing my best to hide it.

"Bye." He said and then I said it back.

"And thanks Taylo-" he yelled before he was cut off from us. Once the screen didn't have hus face on it anymore Taylor took the laptop off my lap and put it on the coffee table. She then leaned back into me with her chin rested on top of my head, she put her and around my body and sighed. I wasn't hugging her back, but my body was leaned against hers. I sighed too and she turned her face down to me and kissed the top of my head before standing up.

It was a little hard to appreciate that hug when I was missing my dad so much, but I loved Taylor for trying to make me feel better.

TAYLOR'S POV

I felt bad for Caroline, she got to see her dad for one short hour through a computer screen, then was expected to live another 11 months without him, like everything was perfectly fine. But it wasn't, nothing about it was fine. I was trying to make it better and try to take her mind off of things, but I didn't know if it was working.

I walked into the next room and saw Caroline walking up the stairs to her room.

"Hey care," I said, getting her attention. She turned around and looked at me.

"I'll be in my room if you need anything... Okay?" I said while trying to read her expression. She just nodded.

"I'll wake you up in the morning too because we have to leave early." She said okay and went up to her room.

Tomorrow was Saturday and the start of Labor Day weekend. We were going to go to LA, I had a house there and we'd be there until Monday. Hopefully that would kind of take Caroline's mind off things.

-the next morning-

It was 5:00 am and I was almost ready. I just had to wake up Caroline. I went up to her room and opened the door, letting the hallway light shine into the dark room. She was all curled up into a ball on her side. I walked over to her bed and lightly put my hand on her back.

"Caroline." I whispered and she slowly started to move. She rolled onto her back and looked up at me. She took a deep breath, groaned and rubbed her eyes.

"Hey girl, good morning." I softly said as she sat up, still looking a little out of it. I giggled and soon we were at the airport and on my plane, about to take off.