Chapter 39

CAROLINE'S POV

Taylor was talking on the phone for almost an hour. By that time I was just ready to hear what she had to tell me, I was tired of waiting for it to happen and worrying myself sick.

"Caroline come here." Taylor yelled up the stairs just then. I took a deep breath and looked in the mirror before I went downstairs to find her in her bedroom. She was lying on her bed and had the covers pulled back so I could get in too. I crawled under the blankets and laid on my side so I was facing her, she was on her back facing the ceiling, but her head was propped up with pillows. We laid there for a while with my snuggled into her side before she spoke up.

"So I was thinking," She started. This is what I had been preparing myself for.

"That.. I love you.." She said before taking another pause.

"And that.." Every time she paused I got more nervous about what she would say.

"Maybe, if it's okay with you," She paused and started smiling, now I wasn't quite sure what she was going to say, she was looking at me and smiling.

"You could be my daughter and stay here until you grow up." She said before looking back at me. I was looking at her stunned and I wasn't quite sure what she meant. It sounded good to me so I smiled back at her but I was still a little confused.

"What?" I said while smiling. Taylor laughed a little before answering.

"I could adopt you, if that sounds good to you." I understood now and propped myself up on my elbow so I could see her better and my unsure smile turned into a real smile. But not for long because I could feel hot tears building in my eyes. Taylor did not want to get rid of me, she wanted to adopt me, she wanted to be my mom. This is what she'd been trying to tell me all day.

"Is that okay with you?" Taylor asked me. I looked at her and nodded my head while happy tears were coming down my cheeks. Taylor smiled at my response and held her arms out for a hug. I leaned down and wrapped my arms around her, she held me tightly and she was tearing up too. I don't think I've ever felt more loved. A year ago Taylor Swift was someone I'd admired, but never met. Now she was the person that loved me most in this world, and I loved her most. Now she was my foster mom, and soon to be my adoptive mom.

I let go of her and laid back down like I was. This explained everything, she told her mom she hoped I wouldn't get upset because she was asking to be my mom right after my dad died. Taylor leaned in and kissed my damp cheek. The future didn't scare me anymore, everything would be okay. And I was genuinely happy.

"Thank you." I said to her. It just seemed appropriate, she was only 24 and had her whole life and career ahead of her, but she was putting everything on hold so she could be the parent of a 15 year old girl. And I was grateful.

As I laid there with Taylor I thought about everything. Now when we were with her family I might actually feel like part of the family and not just Taylor's tag along. I thought about how we would be a family, just me and Taylor. I thought about my parents and how happy they would be to know that I'm in good hands and will be for the rest of my life. Taylor would be there for everything.

Earlier today I was thinking about how terrible it would be to be moved to a different foster home, I'll never have to worry about that again. Soon this wouldn't be my foster home, it would be my real home. And Taylor wouldn't just be my foster mom, she'd be my real mom. I knew I'd always miss my mom, and Taylor could never replace her, but it will be nice to have Taylor always there like that, because I haven't had a mom since I was 4.

I thought about how someday Taylor would get married and have kids and I'd have siblings. I didn't think about her getting married for too long because the man she will someday marry will never be my dad. Maybe that was the difference here, I was okay with Taylor being my mom because my mom's death was so long ago and I've had time to grieve and try to heal. But it was still to soon to think of someone else as my dad.

The only light on was the bedside lamp and after a while Taylor turned it off and rolled back around so we were both facing each other.

"I was so worried about telling you that." Taylor confessed into the darkness.

"Why?" I said while laughing.

"I don't know, what would I have done if you weren't happy about it?" She said.

"Why wouldn't I be happy about it?" I asked.

"So you are happy about it?" She asked me.

"Yeah." I said so she could hear me smiling in my voice without actually seeing me smile.

That night I fell asleep with her in her bed. And I don't think I've ever been happier. I knew my real parents loved me because they're my real parents, they couldn't choose me. But having someone actually choose me and want me to be part if their family was a type of love I'd never experienced before. I knew Taylor wanted me and I knew Taylor loved me.

Grief doesn't end, and I knew I'd be struggling with my dad's death for years. I was still nowhere close to being over my mom's death. But that was okay. I didn't want to forget my parents and all the wonderful things they taught me. And now I had a new family, one that consisted of just two of us. But that was also okay. Taylor loved me and cared about me and could make me happy even when I was at my worst. And that's the type of person I needed as a parent. I couldn't be more grateful.

---------------------------------

Two updates in a day because it's reaching the end. The only thing left to write is the epilogue, I don't know when it will be up quite yet. Thank you all so much for liking this story and supporting me while writing it.