Chapter 40

~Epilogue~

May 14th, 2017

TAYLOR'S POV

"Caroline Swift." I looked up to see my daughter crossing the stage to get her high school diploma. She shook the hand of the principal and superintendent before taking it and sitting back down. Caroline had really grown up to be a beautiful young woman, I couldn't believe her high school years were already over. Seems like I was just dropping her off for her first day of freshman year.

Caroline was the valedictorian of her class and after everyone got their diplomas she had to do a speech. She never let me read it or hear her give it, she said it was a surprise. When it was time for her to speak she went up to the podium and my heart swelled with proudness for her, it was then when it really hit me that I was the one who was here for her during her whole high school career. And she made it, my daughter was graduating high school, that's not something all 27 year olds can say.

"First of all I'd like to thank all the teachers that got me where I am today, I don't know if I'd still be the valedictorian without you guys. I'd also like to thank my classmates for being so nice to me, even when I had no friends freshman year." That brought laughter from the crowd, but I could already feel tears in my eyes, most of the other moms had been crying since they arrived.

"But there is also somebody else who I owe everything to, my high school experience would not be the same without her. As some of you may know, I spent my freshman year in foster care while my dad was in Afghanistan. My dad ending up dying at the end of the year and it was really tough for me not to have either parent alive. My foster mom was my best friend at that time when I had no friends and I ended up getting adopted by her the summer between freshman and sophomore year. There is nobody I owe more thanks to." I was definitely crying now.

"This woman was only 24 when she dove in headfirst and adopted a 15 year old who was going through a lot. She was there for me when my dad died. She was there for me when I was learning how to drive. She was there for me when I got my first boyfriend...and when my first boyfriend and I broke up. And she is here now at my graduation. At 15 I didn't even know if this day would come for me. But now I know that I'm here because of that one person who was there for me through all of high school. And on behalf of the senior class of 2017, I would like to thank all of our parents for everything you have done for us throughout the years." She took a breath and looked around the room before locking eyes with me.

"Thanks, mom." She said with a smile before walking back off the stage. Everybody clapped, but they didn't know how much that meant to me. Especially the last part, even after I adopted her Caroline always called me Taylor. Her saying 'thanks, mom' was enough to make my heart melt.

After the graduation was over everybody was walking around and talking to the graduates. I spotted the back of Caroline's head and saw her looking for me. I walked up behind her.

"Hey girl." I said. She turned around and looked up at me. I was still a good foot taller than her, she hadn't grown much. I wrapped my arms around her and hugged her, her head fit perfectly into my chest like it always had.

"Good job!" I told her.

We got someone to take our picture together and then I took pictures of her and her friends. She finally made some friends when she was a sophomore, that was a good year. She started being happy all the time again. When everybody started to file out so did we.

"Care, you just graduated high school. I have a child that is a high school graduate. Can you believe that?" I said when we were back in the car.

"I know, and it really tires me out, I'm taking a nap in your bed when we get home." She told me. I couldn't help but laugh. She never changes.

"Your speech was really good." I said.

"Thanks." She replied. I looked over at her and for a moment I swore I saw that freshman that was too scared to tell me she had nightmares. Caroline still had nightmares every once and a while, now she knew who to come to. I just prayed that she would be okay at college next year, but I was sure she would, after all she was the smartest in her class.

I would miss Caroline when she went to college, I only got four years of her living with me. But they were the best years of my life. And there was nothing more rewarding than being her mom.