20 : The Scientist

Nobody said it was easy
It's such a shame for us to part
Nobody said it was easy
No one ever said it would be this hard

20 : The Scientist (edited)

Catherine groaned continuously, refusing to get out from under the covers as Lily, Marlene, and Alice pestered her adamantly to wake the hell up.

"No, I don't want to," she whined, knowing perfectly well what today awaits her.

She could hear Marlene snickering. "But, Cathy, it's your day!"

"No, shut up," she muttered grumpily.

Lily gave a good tug on her blankets and successfully yanked it. Catherine squinted at the sudden brightness that attacked her. "Come on, Cathy, you have to get up. Breakfast would be over soon and I'm pretty sure no one would remember about your relation to this wonderful day."

Alice's lips twitched as Marlene tried hard to cover her giggles. Catherine sighed. "Fine, fine, I'm up!" Begrudgingly, she forced herself up and muttered incoherent words under her breath before making her way to the shower.

It's not like Catherine hated this day, she just found it extremely irritating considering how everyone would deliberately greet her.

She just hoped to Merlin that the Marauders weren't as childish as she thought.

Going to the Great Hall, she chose to walk behind the three other girls, quietly running her fingers through her newly done hair. She fought a blush as a sudden memory entered her mind — James telling her how much he liked her hair during their little moment in the Common Room. He had told it to her with that cute smirk of his as he played with the tips of her hair.

She sighed momentarily, remembering the fact that she hadn't seen him since that day considering how he went back home to England. His great aunt died the following day, so Dumbledore had him pulled out of class immediately and sent him off to his house where his parents were waiting. She, too, remembered what he had told her during their talk, that his parents wanted to meet her sometime during summer vacation before their seventh year.

"Ready?" she heard Lily ask her, reaching the doors of the Great Hall.

"When am I ever?" Catherine murmured before puffing her cheeks as she entered the large room with her best friends, waiting for the worst that could happen.

Pink and red streamers were hung up all over the place, magical hearts were sent flying across the room by lovers. And the one thing Catherine could notice the most was the amount of flowers that overflowed. Roses. Roses everywhere.

Because of this day, Catherine wasn't that fond of roses, becoming one of her least favorite flowers.

"HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY, ITTY BITTY VALENTINY!"

Catherine winced, attempting to cover her face out of embarrassment as the surrounding students turned to the Prewett twins who were singing obnoxiously to her. "Shut up, shut up!" she hissed at them and ran down the aisle before taking a seat with the Marauders without looking up.

She felt a poke to her side. "Happy Valentine's Day." Remus smirked at her.

Catherine scrunched her nose playfully at him. "Shut it, Moony."

"Oi, Cathy!" some random Ravenclaw boy yelled from his seat. "Happy Valentine's Day!" He made a heart with his hands as he grinned teasingly at her.