Chapter 17

Maddie's POV

  "Up! Now! Both of you!" my mom's voice bellows from downstairs.

  I ignore her and don't even bother to lift an eyelid.

  "GIRLS! COMPETITION TODAY!" she screams at the top of her voice.

  "UGH FINE MOM!" I reply just as loudly.

  "YEAH, YEAH OKAY MOM!" Kenzie follows suit shortly after.

  As I wash up and get ready for the day, my mind can't help but wander to Gino. I hated falling for a guy. It would always end up with my heart being broken and Zac Efron's picture, damp and bundled up in my arms that night.

  I remembered Abby's words. (A/N : my words, so don't attack me) "Channel your emotions into your dance. Be it you wanna cry, laugh, or die, suck it up and wait till your turn on stage before ya let it out."

  Being the 'good' girl I am, which is something incurable, I decided to just go with it and suck it up for now.

  Then...my mind settled on Daphne. Confusing as it was, I had to figure out what was wrong. Was she the one who had bullied Rachel? Sweet, kind and spirited Daphne, did she?

  My mom's voice reminding us to 'hurry up' brought me back to my current state. Still, no makeup!

  I gritted my teeth and forced myself to sit down and get ready. With no more distractions.

•••••

Gino's POV

  I've been awake for hours. I couldn't sleep the whole night. And now it's 5 in the morning.

  My finger has been hovering over my phone for the past few hours, only to delete the entire message I was about to send.

  How could I tell Maddie that Lia was my best friend who turned into something more, and then shared a first kiss with me? How could I tell her how much time we spent together, and how happy we were? How could I tell her that she flew away and broke whatever we had off?

  How?

  I do the first thing I can think of, calling Lucas. He doesn't pick up the first time. Or the second. He picks up on the last ring the third time and start going mad on me.

  "WHAT?! I WAKE UP AT 12 TODAY YOU KNOW? IT'S MY OFF DAY!"

  "Chill bro, chill! It's Gi. Sorry. It's a lil tiny bit important."

  "Oh, it's you. Okay. Um. Sorry for blowing up on you like that. What's up?"

  I tell him about my dilemma. There's a long and uncomfortable pause. After what feels like an hour, he sighs.

  "Gino...you know what? It's hard. It's hard for me to help pair you up with the girl that I like as well. I'm sorry but...could you please ask someone else to help you? I'm not gonna try to sabotage your relationship with Maddie or anything, but I can't help you, sorry."

  Before I can even think of something to say, he puts down the phone.

  I sit on my bed in silence. He's right. I've been so selfish. I totally forgot that he liked Maddie as well. I'm the worst friend alive!

  I decide to leave Lucas alone for now. I'll literally come up with an apology speech of sorts. He likes those kind of cliché things.

  I feel even worse right now.

•••••
Maddie's POV

  It's the old rush again. The one just before competition. Makeup, costumes, hair and last practices. All the things that have to be settled before we're called out to stage.

  I suddenly get a text. Gino?

  Oh. It's from Kendall. A private message.

Kendall: Hey Maddie, you've been so distant the past few days. I was hoping we could meet up, with the rest of the girls ofc, at Plyville Park maybe? We could go rollerskating! Like the old times ya know? If you say yes, which you should coz you've been so sad lately, reply me asap! So that I can tell the girls about it too yeah?

  After reading the message, I look up at Kendall, who's sitting across me, her mom putting a hairpiece in her hair. She grins hopefully at me.

  I look back down at my phone. Plyville Park...isn't that the park near Gino's house?

  She probably doesn't know. But I need to forget about him don't I? This could be a challenge for myself!

  Without giving it a second thought, I reply with, 'Sure! Sounds good!'

•••••

Unknown's POV

  "Daphne, be quiet for a second and let me ex- "

  "No! I can't do this! It'll hurt her! Please!" she screeches into the phone, her voice becoming squeaky towards the end. She interrupted me!

  "DAPHNE PRIMROSE CLIPTON!" I scream. She finally becomes silent.

  "Want me to spill it all out? I can do what I threatened you with. I won't be afraid to do it."

  "That's funny, you didn't do it to Lia."

  "That's because she actually listened to my instructions...Daph."

  She lets out a short and quiet gasp, but not quiet enough for me to not hear it. A grin curls at the ends of my lips.

  "No one, and I mean no one, especially you, calls me that other than Maddie," she growls deeply.

  With a full smile still on, I say, "Well, that if you want her to still call you that, you probably should do what I say, Clipton."

  "I wish you a painful-"

  This time, I cut her off. I begin to speak, slowly and calmly.

  "Be careful what you wish for."

•••••

I'm well again! At last! Being sick was horrible. Anyway, I started school again! :-(  (i know, so many tears) Updates might be slower, unfortunately! School is the worst! Ugh. Hope you enjoyed this chappie regardless.

Comment, who is 'unknown'? And please vote!!!

Arigato gozaimasu guys,

experienceddazzler <3