Adriana the great

Introduction

"Ada, can you hear that, someone is crying!" I heard my son call from my side. I turned to face him, crouching on the ground so that I could look in his eyes.

"Where are they my son?" I asked cautiously. He pointed into the forest. One of the guards turned to look at me. "Fetch me my elk, and make haste, someone is in danger!" I instructed him. He nodded simply and ran over to the stables. I looked out to the trees, my ears twitching from left to right. Suddenly I heard it, a soft whimpering coming from the west. I could not yet see who it was, but it sounded like they were in some sort of pain or distress. I saw my elk out of the corner of my eye, I lifted my son from the ground and placed him on the elk's back. I sat myself behind the young elf and hastened towards the sound.

Suddenly a thought occurred to me. Why had I brought my son with me? The young prince was very observant, however he would hardly be of assistance if someone was injured. All of a sudden he stood up on the elk and pointed in a direction of to my right. I followed his new direction and found myself in a clearing. I stopped when I saw it. I could hardly believe my eyes. A man and a woman. The poor souls looked like they had been traveling for weeks and woman looked pregnant. I had just taken in the sight when I heard them speaking softly in a language I had never heard in all my life.

"Astra Ono wanne olora verde..." The woman whispered, tears running down her cheeks.

"Eolo me'ar cantra sealon." He replied.

I was just about to ride over to them when they started to slowly melt into shadows, starting at their hands and feet and working along to their torsos. The last I saw of them was a glimpse of their faces before the shadow combined into one, taking the form of a young, female elf. I stared in amazement, as this was almost unheard of, I had only ever heard myths of these people...

"Father, where did the people go?" My son asked, fear in his eyes. I shook my head in awe, "I do not know my son." Was all I could say. I climbed of my elk and strode over to the girl, I was afraid that she was lifeless when her chest began to rise and fall slowly, I lifted her into my arms, it looked like she was asleep. In that moment I knew that it was my responsibility to look after her, to raise her. She was in my charge and I would treat her as my own daughter until she was old enough to know...I would get someone to try to find out whether or not she had any living family, or if there was any information anywhere about her.

Her...she needs a name.

"Her name is Adriana, you must look after her as if she was your own, for she is the ruler of all. She just doesn't know it yet..." A male voice sounded in my head. Adriana, that was a name to rule, yes, Adriana would be perfect!