Chapter 3

We rode through the day till dusk set in. I was extremely tired and could barely get of Brisingr. Brisingr had been my horse since before I can remember. He was pitch black, but had a chestnut coat around his feet. I staggered over where Gandalf and Legolas had begun to set up camp.

'There is not enough talk Legolas, you should start a conversation!' I suggested,wanting to get to know Gandalf better before I had to learn from him.

'Fine, but you must involve yourself also.' He replied. I nodded slowly, silently agreeing to his terms.

"Gandalf, did you know that Adriana can talk to people through mental connections? It's rather remarkable." Legolas asked. Gandalf looked up quickly, looking deep into my eyes.

"We'll, that's one lesson I will avoid teaching. How far can away can you get maintaining the link?" He asked, curiosity and wonder clear on his face.

"Well, I've never been further from Mirkwood than Erebor. I accompanied Thranduil when he went to pay homage to King Thror. I could keep a mental link to Tauriel, who was somewhere on the other side of the misty mountains at the time. I could talk to her and hear her thoughts clearly." I explained, blushing near the end as I must have sounded so proud.

"You have an amazing ability Adriana. Most people can only keep a connection with someone over a few leagues! I must say that I am very impressed with you. How long have you been able to do this?" He praised, questioning me at the end of his statement.

'I found out I had the ability when Legolas was too young to remember. I was out in the woods with Thranduil and Tauriel when I was separated from the group. I felt ever so scared. I called out, but there was no one close enough to hear, so I reached deep into myself and screamed out through my thoughts. It is said that every elf in Mirkwood heard this.' I told him through my thoughts. He smiled and reached out a hand to squeeze me shoulder comfortingly. I smiled back and went to set up me bed, falling asleep almost immediately.

------------------------------------------------

I dreamed that I was flying. The air around me bending to my will. I shot forward, skimming over a lake below. Where ever I touched the water it shot into the air. I played until I grew cold and wet. I looked up into the sky and saw a mountain. I bent the air into an invisible coil and shot forwards, aiming my body towards the mound of rock. I used the air to alter my course, landing perfectly on the very top. I touched the ground at my feet and it parted. I looked down into the darkness, seeing light at the very bottom of the crevice I had made. I jumped. As I neared the light I used the air to cushion my fall. I was surrounded by a roaring fire. I smiled as the fire tickled my skin. It did not burn. I looked at myself, and saw that my appearance had changed. My hair was little more than tendrils of fire, licking down my back. I was wearing a black, tight top that was shimmered with red, yellow and orange when I moved. My bottoms were tight, like leggings, and made of the same kind of material, except they were trimmed with more fire. My skin had also changed. It was thick and shiny. It was dark brown in colour, unlike my usually pale, clear skin. I was shocked. I shot away flying up through the darkness into the moonlight below. I flew back to the lake that I had flown over previously. I dived deep into the cool water and looked down at myself again. For the second time I was shocked by my appearance, however this time I was much more admirable of the way I looked. My skin was a pale blue, and appeared scaly. I was wrapped in a blue, silky material which was wrapped around my top half separately from my trousers, which were loose, unlike the leggings from before. I tried to change my appearance back to how it used to be. I succeeded, however as soon as I was back to normal I found that the air I had been breathing before had vanished. I clawed at my throat, and tried to swim to the surface. I felt my strength waning and began to sink into the depths. I screamed, but nothing came out of my mouth except bubbles of air. My vision blanked out and I sunk further and further. The last thing I could remember was hitting the lakebed.

--------------------------------------

"Ria, Ria wake up...RIA WAKE UP!!!" Someone shouted in my ear. I sat up quickly, bumping heads with Legolas. It seemed he had been leaning over me, shaking me awake. I rubbed my forehead.

"I apologise Legolas. I didn't realise that you were so close!" I explained. Looking up I saw how close to him I really was. He looked down at me, almost reading my features.

"What is wrong Legolas?" I asked, laughing at the expression on his face, it was one of amazement, pain and wonder.

"Gandalf said that we should get going, so I came to wake you up. You wouldn't come to so I was worried that something had happened to you." He explained absentmindedly. I shook my head, smiling. Standing up I collected some fresh clothes and made my way to a clump of brush that was tall enough for me to hide behind. I changed into the clean clothes and brushed through my hair with my fingers, the raven black locks pouring down my back in waves of shadow.

"Darned fire won't light!" I heard Gandalf grumble. I smiled to myself and had an idea. I walked towards where the sound had come from and sure enough, Gandalf was there, trying to light the fire. I motioned for him to get out of the way and knelt before the fire wood. I tried to remember what I had done in my dream. I touched the ground beside my leg. It split open at my fingertips. I looked at the crevice I had just created. Legolas and Gandalf looked at me in awe. I looked down and, just as remembered, there was the fire at the bottom of the pit. I looked at Gandalf and Legolas.

"Don't worry about me when I do this, you have to trust me. Do I have your word?" I asked. They both nodded hesitantly. I stood up and looked down into the pit. I let out a deep breath and jumped into the crevice. I suddenly realised that I had no idea if I could manage to control the wind. Had I really thought that I would be able to control everything after a dream?!

I suddenly realised that I was nearing the fire. I impulsively brought my hands down to my sides. I felt something pressing softly against my hands. It was the air! The air was pressing against me. I slowed to a stop and once again felt the flames tickle me. I reached out my hand, it felt good to have the warmth of the flames so near to my hand. I tried to pick up a tendril but it slipped through my hand. I started to pace the small space I had created. I started to click my fingers. It was an awful habit that I had picked up. I always clicked my fingers when I was frustrated. I realised that I felt the tickling sensation in my fingers. I reached my hand in front of my face. I clicked my fingers and saw flames explode in my hand! I'd found a way to create fire. I looked up at the light of day above me. I brought my hands to my sides like I had done before and shot up through the darkness towards the sky. I emerged from the crevice smugly. Legolas and Gandalf backed away, fear in their eyes. I clicked my fingers, ignoring their fright, and lit the fire. I turned to face the two.

'How did you perform that magic, have you been hiding from me that which you can do?' Legolas accused.

'I had a dream last night. I saw myself flying, controlling water, earth, air and fire. Watch!' I replied. I clicked my fingers, fire erupting from my palm. I put out the fire. Raising my left hand, I held it flat, drawing my fingers to a point above the centre of my hand. Moisture from the air moved into a point, freezing into an upside down icicle. I held out my right hand and bent the trees towards me, finally I brought the air around me into a shell, doming it around me. I nodded at Gandalf and he sent balls of glowing white light from his staff. Each one deflected off the dome. I waved my hand and the balls of light stopped coming, the dome disappeared. Legolas ran over to me, enveloping me in a hug. I hugged him back, not really knowing why.

'Legolas?' I questioned him.

'I thought, when you had jumped, that you wouldn't come down. Gandalf told me that you didn't do anything, then he just fell silent. I couldn't see through the pitch black of the earth. I was so worried!' He explained. I only hugged him tighter, reassuring him that I was truly alive.