Chapter 18

The shadows thickened as I honed in to the moving target of my horses back. I traveled successfully and ended up in the saddle. As I gazed about myself I realised that I was on Brisingr's back, just facing backwards! I righted myself, hearing a small chuckle from behind me. Turning I saw Tauriel watching me closely.

"Don't worry! I'm not going to attack! I promise." I explained hastily. She nodded, sighing with relief. I saw her unclench her hand. Looking to her side I saw that she had been clutching one of her blades. I let out a sigh similar to hers, knowing that if I hadn't spoken she would have chopped my head clean off! After that we fell silent as we kept travelling.

The silence between us lengthened and grew uncomfortable.

"Thank goodness you came back.We had almost arrived at the witch king's castle!" Tauriel exclaimed. I silently thanked her attempt at conversation

"How close are we?" I asked. She took her eyes off me to gauge the distance between us and our destination.

"I'd say another two days ride till the edge of the fortress." Tauriel answered. My stomach dropped to my toes as I realised how close we were to a probable death. I quickly shook away the feeling. We have a duty to Middle Earth and no matter what we will stop this evil.

"Have you ever wondered what having parents is like, real parents I mean?" Tauriel asked, surprising me. My brow furrowed, my eyebrows knotting. Eventually I shook my head. I was about to answer when my companion cut me off.

"You look so much like Thranduil when you do that! Almost like you were his child. You gave a very convincing performance...." She trailed off.

"I never wondered. Always there was a strange feeling in my heart when I thought of the ElvenKing as my father, or when I called him Ada. It felt even stranger when he called me daughter. I have always doubted him as my father, first off the fact that I do not look like Thranduil or Legolas. Also my strange abilities. I guess I never really missed parents because I never really had any." I explained. Tauriel's words got me thinking though. I hoped one day I would join my parents in Valinor.

We continued in silence again, though this time it was welcome. My mind was restless as I thought over what my friend had said.

Sorry it's short but I really want to get on!!! I was wondering whether I should jump to their arrival at the fortress or whether I should go on a bit more about their journey...what do you think??? Please comment your ideas coz I'm running out!!! As usual vote, comment and tell your friends!!!

-rachel