Chapter 17

Tauriel's POV

I turned to look at Ria, she had a far away look in her eyes telling me that she was talking to someone in her mind. I waved the thought away, focusing on covering as much ground as we could before dark.

I heard a noise behind me.

Turning around I saw that Ria's fangs had grown out, her ears were visible through her hair and her skin was darkening. Before I could blink her hair turned to water, her body to shadow, and her eyes to flame. I froze, not knowing how to react. I kept my cool, however, at least until she roared. Rianor, (my horse), bolted, I looked back fleetingly, watching Ria disappear in shadow. Brisingr was hot on my heels as we raced across the flat, barren landscape. Fear gripped me, it was the only thing that kept us going after the exhaustion that had dragged me down before.

The lands of Angmar flew passed as we traveled at great speed. I hoped that Adriana would return before we reached the witch kings fortress. I don't know what I would do if I arrived without her.

-----------------------

Gandalf's POV

I watched as the young prince tried to reason with Adriana.

When she had argued with me I had suddenly felt all of my years. My shoulders sagged and my head dropped. I could feel something dark in my heart, eating away at me from the inside out.

"Ria...help me..." I pleaded. Her head whipped around to me, her eyes softening to their usual blue when she realised what was happening. Her hair darkened and her skin changed. Before I could blink she was back to normal. In the next instance. She was by my side, rubbing my back as she spoke words of power. A warm, tingling sensation prickled my skin where she touched me, it seeped through to my heart, warming it and dispelling the darkness. Her words became a chant as the darkness spilled out of my mouth, dissipating when it left me. As the darkness left me, I became aware of how much I had hurt Ria by shouting at her when she had such a burden to carry.

"Uncle, we'll get you heeled it's all going to be alright." She consoled. I nodded weekly.

"How will we get him to healers. We're hundreds of leagues away from the closest people!" Legolas pointed out. I heard no more of the conversation though. My mind was enveloped with a black fog thicker than the oncoming wall of night, which wasn't far away. I welcomed the comfort of sleep openly, closing my eyes and falling for what felt like eternity.

-----------------------

Adriana's POV

I saw my uncle's eyes close out of the corner of my eye. As he fell off of his horse I was prepared and stretched out both arms instinctively, catching him and pulling him close to my body. Looking over to the hollow of a tree I set him down as comfortably as I could.

"What do we do?" Legolas asked from behind me. I had been calming, but his treachery brought my anger back. It was not as bad as before, not as consuming, but still caused me to lash out. I drew back my fist and brought it around for a roundhouse punch. Acting on instinct Legolas brought up one of the blades that were still in his hands. I realised what was going to happen all to late and couldn't stop the punch before he cut my wrist. I brought my hand towards my chest as the fire of the wound flared. Panic began to grip me, but I focused on calming myself. I looked down, and seeing the blood flowing from the wound profusely brought me to my senses.

"Woah!" I breathed as I saw the full extent of the damage. The blade had cut right through to the bone and stretched from the bottom of my palm to halfway down my arm. It cut from left to right diagonally and opened further with every movement I made.

"Ria! Oh may the Valar help you! I'm so sorry. I didn't mean it." He apologised. I looked into his eyes and all I could see was love, heartfelt love. I realised. That I returned his affections.

Looking back down at my wound I brought up my uninjured hand. I placed it over the top of the cut and spoke the word of power I had learnt off by heart incredibly quickly.

"Lostarier!" I breathed. My vision flashed golden and when it cleared I was healed. The only trace of injury was a thin scar where the wound had been moments before.

"Ria...that was incredible! How did you do that?" Legolas asked. I smiled fully. Happiness filling me at both my success and also at Legolas's inquisitiveness.

"That was magic my love! A very ancient form, but still magic." I explained. He smiled when I called him my love. I knew immediately that I forgave him.

"You never fail to surprise me!" He exclaimed. When I looked into his eyes I realised that I would have to leave him.

"Legolas, I love you and always will, but the Valar have decided that you must stay in Mirkwood, and I must go to Angmar. There is no way around it. You must trust me. Never stop loving me, for I will always love you back. Princeling you have a duty to fulfil, and so do I. It just so happens that I must go and you must let me go so. Take my uncle back to be healed. I will return in one way or another." I pleaded. Desperation filling me as I saw the tumult of emotions inside him.

"I will return, but only if you give me your word you will come back to me!" He reasoned. I nodded, drawing the shadows around me.

"I love you!" I whispered.

"I love you too!" He replied. His face was replaced by shadow as I shadow-traveled onto Brisingr's back.

Hi guys, sorry if this didn't flow very well with the last chapter but it will make sense later on in the story! Thanks for all your support and comments! Please bear with me and continue to support me like you are now. I'll make sure to reply to all of your comments at the weekend when I have a more stable wifi, but until then I'll do my best to keep updating. Also look out for my Thranduil fanfic, it's coming out soon!