Chapter 1

"Ada!!! Ada, look at this!" I called from the window. My father and brother made their way over to me. I looked out to the edge of the woods where an old man was riding a beautiful white mare towards the main gates.

"Why don't we go to meet him, you may know him Adriana?" My father asked.

"Only if Legolas can come too!" I replied, looking fondly over to my brother. All my father could do was nod, so Legolas and I raced out of the hall, through the winding corridors and towards where the man had halted his horse.

I bowed my head out of respect and Legolas followed my example. Legolas was probably the closest I had to a friend, I was unsure as to why the other elves kept their children away from me, perhaps it was for the same reason as why I had raven black hair, unlike the golden blonde of my brother and father.

"Gandalf!" I heard my father utter from behind me. I turned and walked to his side as to look respectable after the scene myself and Legolas had just made.

"My King Thranduil, I am honoured to be in your presence." The man bowed low and smiled when he took in the sight of me, I had to admit, this man was strangely familiar..."Adriana, it is good to see you again. I had hoped to meet you under better circumstances but I am certainly graced at the presence of such a wonderful young woman." Gandalf complimented me, smiling sweetly at the end of his sentence. I returned the smile unsurely, gaining me a comforting hand on my shoulder. I looked at him, into his eyes, I really focused on his thoughts. I found many things as I explored his thoughts, some of which surprised me very much, then I found what I was looking for...

"Adriana! Listen to me! Adriana wake up, please." I heard someone plead to me, but I was too shocked by what I had learned to respond.

"What have you done to her Wizard?" Thranduil accused. I felt myself begin to fall, but I was caught by strong arms. My whole world dissolved into doubt, then darkness. The last thing I remember was Gandalf simply replying to the King's question...

" I simply let her know what she needed to know."

***

"Where am I?" I moaned, always my immediate reaction when I couldn't remember what had happened before I went to sleep.

"You're in your bed, in King Thranduil's hall, but you'd best be quiet as your friend Legolas is asleep by your bedside." I heard someone explain. I finally decided to open my eyes and took in the sight around me. Legolas was indeed asleep, his head resting next to my waist. I placed my hand on his head. And it was Gandalf that had answered my question.

"Ever since we were children I would always get him into trouble, he would always get into the worst kinds of problems, but I was always there to get him out. That was, until I realised he wasn't my brother. I can't believe Thranduil lied to me..." I reminisced, whispering the last few words. I couldn't quite come to grips that I had been lied to about my family and origins.

"I know it's a lot to take in on a first encounter. I just hope that you can understand why I came now. You're now of age to leave, being fully grown at 100 years of age. Also I wasn't aware that you were here until a few weeks ago. I hope you can understand. You should know that I haven't told you everything, but hopefully I can persuade you to perhaps come with me? I know that you have only just found out about being something you thought you weren't, however I want you to fully understand your power." Gandalf explained to me.

"If you please sir, I would like to talk to Legolas about this first. We have never done anything without the other, and it will be the first time I will have left Mirkwood, please understand." I asked, a creeping sadness filling my heart at having to leave this wonderful place, even if people stared when I walked by, or my closest friends had lied to me. I wondered if Legolas had known about me this whole time. It brought anger to my heart that I should have grown close to those that had lied to me, but I decided that I shouldn't resent Legolas for something that he was probably forced to go along with. I looked down at his sleeping form, feeling anger, and compassion, and sympathy for him. I then realised a feeling for him that I had never felt for anyone before. I decided to ponder it later. I turned to Gandalf. "What would I do if I were to leave Mirkwood and go with you? I need to know what I would be going for if I were to leave." I asked curiously.

"Well my dear, I would teach you about your people, and your parentage, and also some of the abilities that comes with your new responsibility...but it would take a long time you understand, and you'd have little time for visiting here. I suppose you'd have to come and live with me in Isengaurd if you were to have a proper tuition, else it would be too far to come for daily lessons! You'd just about get halfway home by the time you would have to begin to return! And I don't approve of lateness, or falling asleep in class!" Gandalf explained, I had got so caught up in what he was saying that I forgot about Legolas and leaned over to Gandalf to give him a hug, waking the poor boy up from his slumber.

"Ria...what's going on?" He mumbled, rubbing his eyes of sleep, he was so sweet, again this foreign emotion filled my heart, especially when he called me by my nickname.

"I'm sorry that I woke you up Legolas, I didn't mean to. I was just talking to Mr Gandalf here. Come now, there are things we must discus with King Thranduil and until you move, I can't get up!" I explained. He lifted himself idly from my bed and I swung my legs out of the covers and onto the floor. I lent on Legolas as I got up as I was feeling slightly dizzy from lying down for too long. I regained my balance and, realising I was still in my everyday clothes, made my way to The Elvenking's hall with Gandalf and Legolas. I dreaded what awaited me, but I wanted an explanation of who I was from the one who had lied to me most of all...