Chapter 8

As the shadows dissipated-from shadow traveling-I took in the sight around me. Gandalf put his hand in front of my body, warning me to stay in the shadows. I nodded and wrapped the darkness around him as he stepped towards the first of the enormous cave trolls that were arguing around a fire.

"No good roasting 'em now, it'd take all all night," Gandalf called out, imitating one of the trolls. I tried as hard as I could not no burst out laughing! He did such an excellent impression of those silly creatures.

"Don't start the argument all over again, Bill," one of the trolls-sounding like the one Gandalf had imitated-said, "or it will take all night."

"Who's a-arguing?" Asked William, who thought it was Bert that had spoken. A giggle almost escaped my lips, I put a hand over my mouth to stifle it, but some of the noise escaped. William turned around, his foul smelling breath filling my nostrils. All that I could see was his enormous face, but I was still wrapped in shadows so I could not be seen.

"You are," said Bert after William had turned around.

"You're a liar," said William; and so the argument began all over again. I sat down on a small tree stump before I noticed that a Hobbit was stuck in a thorn bush.

The trolls began to argue more than ever! I sighed, edging around the firelight to get to the poor fellow.

I turned around to see that an enormous black pot had been placed over the fire. I watched in horror as they took out razor sharp knives.

I reached out for the hobbit's mind, just as Gandalf started to imitate the trolls again. I turned around, wishing I could record this on a seeing stone like Gandalf had taught me.

"No good boiling 'em! We ain't got no water, and it's a long way to the well and all," Gandalf argued. William and Bert must have thought it was Tom.

"Shut up! Or we'll never have done. And yer can fetch the water yerself, if yer say any more."

"Shut up yerself!" Said Tom, who must have thought it was William! "Who's arguing but you, I'd like to know."

"You're a booby," William pushed. I thought it was a rather weak come back, but then again, trolls are very, very stupid.

"Booby yourself!" Tom retaliated. The silly trolls began arguing yet again. I turned around locating the Hobbit's mind.

'Hello, I'm a friend of Gandalf. I'm going to help you down now. Can you tell me your name?' I thought to him. I wanted to maintain trust before I scared the poor thing.

'I'm Bilbo, Bilbo Baggins. Where are you?' He asked, fear filling his thoughts. I moved around to a position where the trolls couldn't see me, but he could.

'I'm just to your left. My name's Adriana by the way. Adriana Darkonanile. I'm going to get you down now.' I replied.

I was just reaching up to move away the branches when I heard the argument stop.

'Wait, I want to hear this.' Bilbo thought hurriedly to me. I turned to the trolls as well.

'Who shall we sit on first?' The voice, (Gandalf), asked, trying to provoke the trolls.

"Better sit on the last fellow first," Bert said. His eye looked burnt and swollen, I wondered which of the dwarves had done that.

"Don't talk to yourself!" Said Tom. "But if you want to sit on the last one, sit on him. Which is he?"

"The one with the yellow stockings," Bert answered.

"Nonsense, the one with the grey grey stockings," Gandalf argued, imitating William.

"I made sure it was yellow," Bert argued back.

"Yellow it was," William, the actual William, agreed.

"Then what did you say it was grey for?" Said Bert.

"I never did. Tom said it."

"That I never did!" Tom almost shouted. "It was you."

"Two to one so shut your mouth!" Bert pouted childishly.

"Who are you a-talking to?" Said William.

"Now stop it!" Said Tom and Bert together. "The nights getting on, and dawn comes early. Let's get on with it!"

"Dawn take you all, and be stone to you!" Gandalf shouted, his deep voice reverberating around the clearing. The sunlight spilled over the treetops turning the trolls to stone!

Hey, do you like the idea of her helping Thorin's company? As usual, comment vote and share!!!