3. Rodeo

Despite the beautiful clear skies this morning It was cloudy out with a brisk wind. I pulled my hoodie tighter around me as we headed into the building. The first thing i saw was a big group of football players sporting the bright red and white school colours. Followed by a group of blondes and brunettes in skirts barely covering their asses. I rolled my eyes and one of the girls gunned me down with her big brown eyes. I glared and she chased her team out to the huge field. Lisa pulled me into the office so we could set up my class schedule. I looked out the window and ended up daydreaming. Resulting in Lisa chuckling while the principal went nearly red in the face. I apologized and we set up my classes.

After a grueling hour we finally got to leave. "About time, the was painful," Lisa laughed, "are you hungry honey?"

I hadn't even thought about food, "I could eat," I smiled. We hopped back into the truck and headed to this old diner style restaurant. As soon as we walked through the door me and Lisa were greeted by a short, stout waitress with a wide smile. 

"Lisa, it's been awhile hows Caleb." The waitress and Lisa continued chatting while I looked over the menu, until I heard my name. 

I looked over and Lisa laughed a little. "This is my step daughter Kourtney." The waitresses expression dropped, "So this is Caleb's little one, honey i havent seen you since you were a baby." she smiled and Lisa nodded. I smiled politely. 

"We have a picture of you and your daddy on the wall over there. Richard, my husband and your dad were best friends before he passed." She teared up a but as she recalled the memory. 

"Can you show me?" I asked quietly. She smiled wide and led me over to a framed photo on the wall. Caleb was dressed infill cowboy gear and was grinning ear to ear with me, sitting on his lap giving a toothless grin. 

"You were a daddys girl thats for for sure." She squeezed my arm as we returned to the table. Lisa and I quickly ordered, ate and left shortly after.

I didn't understand why she had photos of me and Caleb, yet I didn't have any.

"Sorry if Cathy made you uncomfortable, she meant well." Lisa said snapping me out of my thoughts, looking over before turning up the music.

When we got back I headed to the barn and fed Gypsy some oats while I sat on a pail in her stall. She ate quietly while I thought. Why did my mom tell me my dad never met me. I jumped when I heard the loud click of hoofs coming down the hall. I peeked around the corner and saw  Austin leading an angry horse into a stall. 

"How's she doin?" he asked on his way past. "

She's finally settled." I smiled. He chuckled as he scooped some oats up for the old mare. 

"Hey i'm goin to a rodeo this weekend I think theres still time to register, would you like to come?" he asked. 

"Do they have barrels?" I laughed, he nodded his head and chuckled. 

"I'm in," I smiled.

Thursday didn't come soon enough. The night before the rodeo is always important, clean the tack load the trailer. Austin wont tell me what his event is even though ive begged and begged he's such an ass. We left early in the morning and pulled into the rodeo grounds just after 9am. I quickly brought gypsy out of the trailer, tied her and gave her feed and water then went to sign up. I paid the entry fee got my number and headed back to the trailer. I noticed the girl with the brown eyes from the school was talking to Austin. He smiled at me when he saw me coming. She just asked who i was frowning and Austin told her that I was Caleb's daughter. 

She looked at me and scoffed," that explains it". Austin told her to go and she just glared back at me. He apologized and he helped me tack up.

When you're at the starting gate it it is just you and your horse. You are a team. You can feel your horses energy. As soon as that buzzer goes you guys are gone. I heard Austin yelling from the stands. We ended up coming in with an 18.06, the fastest run of the day. We buckled at our first rodeo in Georgia and i couldnt be happier. I rode Gypsy bareback to the stands to watch Austin when they called his name out, he burst out of the stall on a bull. Hes a damn bullrider.
I cheered my heart out and after those 8 seconds he hopped off the bull as if it wasnt anything. He also buckled and as soon as me and Gypsy got back to the trailer i ran to Austin and jumped on him congratulating him and laughing. He put me down and smiled as we packed up and headed back home.

I called Kiley and Derek to tell them the news but neither answered the phone. So i put Gypsy in her stall and started unloading her tack from the truck. Austin came into the barn a few minutes later and smiled at me. "So do you make a habit of kicking ass?"
I laughed," Do you have a habit of risking it all." 

He laughed and nodded his head. I hugged him and thanked him for today then headed to the house. I turned bak and caught him staring. I quickly showered and climbed into bed. I tossed and turned for most the night. I was to excited to sleep.