Chapter 4

Marshall, enraged, brought the bass down with all his might. The sleeping Bubba underneath had no idea he was about to meet his demise at the hands of someone who meant a lot to him. The ax hits down right above Bubba's head. He didn't have the strength to kill Bubba no matter what he had done or said. He wasn't that cruel, not to anyone.

Bubba jumped up in fear and gasped very sharply, turning pale from fear. He looked up and saw Marshall gripping the neck of the bass, eyes cold and dark as he breathed heavily. The ax itself had gotten stuck at least half way into the bed. When he ripped it out, feathers from the mattress flew everywhere, and Bubba screamed in fear, a full picture painted in his head. He shook uncontrollably, curling up in the fetal position out of pure panic and confusion.

"HOW DARE YOU?!" Marshall screams with all his might, enraged.

"W-w-hat-!?"

"You very know what you slimy dishonest untrustworthy ass hole! You lied to me! You lied to me! How could you!?"

"I d-don't have a-any clue what you're-"

"Liar! You straight up liar! You asked Fionna to marry you hours after I left three days ago you son of a-!" Marshall swung at Bubba again, and he fell off the bed to avoid the surely fatal blow. The ax got stuck in the gingerbread wall, and Marshall struggled to rip it out. Bubba sobbed uncontrollably, now completely frozen with pure fear.

"I didn't Marshall Lee I-I swear to glob! P-please Marshall please don't hurt me! We're f-friends, remember?! G-good friends- great friends...!" Then came urgent knocking. It was peppermint maid, frantic.

"Prince Gumball, are you alright?! What on earth is going on in there! Open up please!"

"Stay out, Peppermint!" Marshall bellowed, stepping closer and closer to poor Bubba who was cowering for his life. His voice dropped to a harsh and threatening hiss. "You continue to lie! LSP told me himself that he saw you on one knee in front of her, holding her hand! Not only did you lie to me, you played me! You toyed with my heart... How could you?"

"Marshall please, I swear I did not ask her to marry me! It was an honest mistake on Lumpy Space Prince's part. Fionna and I are simply friends and she dropped an earring and I found it for her and-"

"That's utter bullshit."

"It isn't, I swear!" He scrambles to his feet and drops to his knees in front of Marshall, grabbing his hands immediately. "I would never t-toy with your heart, or lie to you. You're my good friend, you make me happy. I swear on my own life, I am not engaged to Fionna. She is only my friend. You are my good friend... Please believe me Marshall." He looked up into Marshall's eyes and cried gently. He clearly meant no harm, and didn't ask anyone to marry him. Marshall sunk to his knees and met Bubba's gaze. He scowled, looking straight into Bubba's deep purple pupils. "I swear, M-Marshall..."

"You swear?"

"Yes, I swear." He hugged him tight around the neck and smiled through his tears. With a much softer voice, he said "I m-missed you Marshall Lee. I had a difficult time waiting those days. Oh- and I am fine, Peppermint Maid."

"Are you sure, sir? There was an awful lot of yelling..."

"Yes, just a bunch of bad dreams."