Chapter 13

Gumball glanced down at Marshall's calm face once before handing him to Fionna, who took him back to Cake and Monochromicorn. She suddenly began to cry, tense and scared. If Gumball lost this game, he lost a lot more than his friend. She hadn't heard him declare his love aloud, as she was crying very distracted by Cake. She still had no idea how he felt about Marshall, and what he did the night before their wedding. Lad decided to not ask any questions because he was a lot wiser than many of the candy citizens. Cake and Peppermint had discussed between another just why they stood up in protest. Cake, Pepper, and Lad all knew the secret that was slowly leaking out. All were trusted friends, wise beyond their years and very accepting. They all understood that love came in many different forms, no matter who or what it was between. They understood that no man or woman can really choose who they truly fall in love with. For Bubba, it was Marshall. For Marshall, it was Bubba.

Death watched as Gumball took his seat and began to observe the pieces. "Leave now and nothing is gained nor lost." He gives a final warning, and Gumball makes the first move with a fire in his eyes.

"I am fixing my mistake, and if I fail, I'll go down knowing that I followed my instincts." He watched as Death moved his piece. Bubba countered, and so on. Half way through, Bubba began to notice that Death was anticipating and countering every single move successfully, knocking out Gumball's pieces and weakening him. "You- you're cheating!" He cried out, hands trembling. "You're not playing by the rules!"

"Ah, but I am! You see, I distinctly remember you stating nothing but our minds could be used to play. I can read yours with mine... It isn't cheating. I'm only using my mind and that's all there is to it. Sorry..." He grinned and Bubba felt a lump rise in his throat. He began to wipe away tears as he lost control and broke down. The game wasn't even over and he was falling apart, already headed down the dreaded path to failure. He struggled to keep composure as Death simply dragged him on, using words that Marshall would say. "Sometimes bold decisions pay off... Most times, they do not. I'm very sorry Gumball dear, but it appears you aren't going to get out of this one."

Bubba squirmed in his chair and closed his eyes. He allowed every thought clear his mind. He was a fantastic chess player, and he knew it. There was no need to choke now. He had memorized every single way to win a chess game, and knew each by heart. He sat back and wiped his eyes, allowing his mind to stay empty. He moved his piece and Death frowned, unable to read any thoughts. He countered Gumball anyway, who returned by knocking a piece off with a grin. He was back in it.

Several hours passed. Sometimes it took up to twenty minutes for a move to be made. A lot was at stake, and neither of them planned on losing. Fionna hid into Cake as she watched with wide eyes, nervous, but hopeful. "You can do it Gummy Prince, I know it..." She purred, and Gumball smiled. He knew he could do it. He was a genius, and had perfected the game of chess through dedication and practice. He watched Death with a grin as he quickly began to get ahead in the game.

"Check mate." Gumballs pink hand knocked out Death's king in one fluid motion and he stood. "Return Marshall's soul to his body this instant and allow us out."

"Fine. He may escape Death once, but it doesn't happen twice." He returned Marshall's soul to the body and the wound on his chest healed and closed. Marshall coughed and sat up with a gasp, then leaned back with an uncomfortable moan. Fionna supported his head and hugged him very tight, crying with joy.

"M-Marshall! You're back!" She held him close and he blushed, then hugged her back.

"H-Hey Fi... What am I back from exactly?" He rubbed his eyes, then his temples, not feeling very well. It felt as if he was forgetting something, or missing something important.