Chapter Sixteen

"Shawn dude, keep it down." G told us when he saw us. "You're animals man. I almost booked Jack and I another hotel."

"Oops." Mr. Mendes said and I smiled sheepishly, my cheeks burning red. "Sorry." He apologized for the both of us.

"What happened to our little shy Shawny?" Johnson teased and Shawn laughed as G agreed. "The one who couldn't even say hi to a cute girl without blushing like crazy?"

"He grew up." Mr. Mendes replied as he laced his fingers with mine. His grip was tight, and I liked the way out hands fit together. It was almost like two pieces of a puzzle.

"I can see that." G said and I ran a hand through my curled hair. "We called a driver, come on, he's waiting out front." He informed us.

"There's crowds out there man." JJ said and I laughed, asking when wasn't there. "I don't know man."

"Let's go. I very so upset they won't let us go around back." Mr. Mendes spoke and I agreed as he wrapped an arm around my waist instead.

We walked outside security holding the girls from us as loud screams erupted. I kept my head down, allowing Mr. Mendes to guide me to the car.

Many of his fans shouted for pictures and autographs, and he clearly felt inclined to give even a few of them ehat they wanted. He pointed at the car and I nodded, walking up to JJ and G as he stayed behind.

"Where's Shawn?"

"Signing autographs, taking pictures, the usual." I told JJ and he nodded as we got inside of the car. We say in the back as G stole the passenger seat. 

"We're gonna go get something to eat then head to Shawn's soundcheck." G told me as he turned around in his seat.

"Sounds fair. I'm starving." I spoke and they agreed as I crossed my legs, waiting for Mr. Mendes to come back.

-

"Guys guys guys," I said quietly and they hummed as they looked at me. "Do you think I can get this into her wig?" I asked the three as I held a straw between my lips.

Mr. Mendes set a hand on my thigh, telling me I shouldn't do that with a stern look. JJ and G encouraged me slightly, moving away so I had a clear shot to shoot. I stuck my bottom lip out towards Mr. Mendes, who was still giving me that stern look.

"Please?"

"That's extremely rude." He told me and JJ agreed after a couple of seconds, telling me that maybe I shouldn't. I sighed and nodded, putting the wadded up piece of paper on the table.

Mr. Mendes leaned down and whispered in my ear as JJ and G got engaged in a conversation. "I'm teaching you about manners tonight because blowing spit balls is not how a good girl behaves."

My cheeks went red and I nodded, apologizing quietly. "I love the music video idea. Where are you going to shoot it?" Mr. Mendes asked his friends and I reached for my coffee with a shakey hand.

His grip on my thigh tightened and I nearly spilt my coffee all over me. I took a drink and then put it on the table, listening to their conversation about making and producing music.

"I actually want to be a music producer." I spoke up and JJ smiled at me.

"That's good. You know what you want to do. Are you studying it right now or getting hands on experience from Shawn?" He asked me and G nodded.

"Yeah, how's it working out for ya'?"  He a added on and I tapped my nails on the desk.

"I was going to go to college, but I... I kind of don't fit the whole college scene." I lied and they nodded. "I was actually hoping to get some hands on experience. He said he'd teach me when he's off."

"That's sweet." G said and I nodded as I leaned my head on Mr. Mendes' shoulder. "Mads usually helps me with music, but here are rare times I help her. It's really cool."

"Monica doesn't sing though." Mr. Mendes cut in and I nodded, reaching for my orange juice. I didn't want coffee today. I drank it too often.

"When you become a big time poducer, don't forget about us." JJ told me and I shook my head.

"I could never." I promised and they nodded as we broke out into a different conversation.

-

"Mr. Mendes?" I asked as I bounced my leg up and down. It was freezing in here.

"Yes?" He answered as he worked on a soundboard. We were inside of a studio at nearly three in the morning because he had a song idea and I didn't want to be in a hotel room all alone, or with either of the Jacks. They snored too loud.

"You said you'd teach me about this stuff..." I reminded and he looked at me confused. "Remember?"

"Remember what?"

"You promised that you would tell me how to work a soundboard and how to produce music. We talked about this in the morning. I want to be a music producer, remember? That's the whole reason why I'm here and agreed to this. You said you'd teach me." I said and he nodded.

"Right, of course, I remember now." He hummed, but I didn't seem to have all his attention as he pushed random buttons and moved some dials.

"So..."

"Another time. I'm very focused on this right now. I have an idea that I cannot let go of." He said and I just nodded as I sat quietly.

I wish I knew what he was doing. All I knew is that he was adjusting the sounds of his previously recorded guitar track and vocal tracking. He was currently layering them with a laptop to his left as he adjusted a few dials.

The buttons and dials weren't labeled, so he must know by heart which does what.

I stood up and walked around, crossing my arms over my chest as I looked at pictures of all the artists that have ever worked in this very studio. I saw Justin Bieber, Michael Jackson, The Beatles, 5 Seconds of Summer, One Direction, and so many more artists.

A few records were on the wall, platinum and golf lining the wall in a pattern. I smiled, reading off each one silently, going between them and short glances at Mr. Mendes.

"Monica?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm going to be here for awhile. If you would like, I can get someone to drive you back to the hotel." He offered but I shot the opportunity down.

"It's fine. I don't want to be alone in there. I've grown used to falling asleep next to you." I said and he nodded, not pressing the subject.

I didn't mean to say that. I've grown used to falling asleep next to you, who says that to someone they weren't dating?

Or were we dating? We did everything couples did: cuddled, kissed, go out on dates, we even have sex often.

Granted, he never did ask me on a date. We just kinda got dressed up and went...

The thought bothered me, so I looked over at Mr. Mendes with a heavy heart and shakey voice. "Can I ask you a question?" I asked him and he nodded, a hand covering one side of his headphones.

"Mhm."

"Are we like... dating?" I asked and it was silent. I didn't get an answer, all he did was take off his headphones and looked at me.

My cheeks burned with embarrassment as I sealed my lips shut. He asked me to repeat my question, and I looked at an album. "Do you like Justin Timberlake?"

"He's a great musician. I don't look up to him, but he's great. Do you?" He asked and I shrugged.

"He isn't my type, but a few songs stick out." I replied and he just nodded as I rubbed my arms gently. I regret not wearing a sweater.

"Are you cold? I'll turn the heater on." He offered and I nodded, thanking him when he stood up.

I rubbed my eyes and sighed as I fell on to a couch. I had no real reason to be here in the studio. I was just kinda here because I didn't want to be alone.

Perhaps I'll just stay in the hotel, or bus, next time this time comes up.