Chapter 1: 14 Years Ago

14 years ago
Barry awoke to the sound of screaming. He thought it was his sister, Ashlynn, looking for something, so he went to check on her. When he reached her room, he saw that Ashlynn was sound asleep despite the commotion going on. 'That must be Mom screaming!' Barry thought. He picked up Ashlynn and ran downstairs. When he reached the bottom of the stairs, Barry saw the impossible. Red and yellow streaks were circling his mother who was screaming. 'Mom!' Barry screamed out. 'Barry! Barry run!' Screamed Nora Allen as she knelt on the dining room floor. Henry Allen grabbed his son's shoulders and said 'Barry, take Ashlynn and run!' In a blink of an eye Barry felt himself rushed off his feet when suddenly he was outside, twenty blocks from his house. He was holding Ashlynn, who had now started crying,in his arms. He then started to run down the street to his house. When he arrived home, there were police cars everywhere. He saw his dad being brought out of the house in handcuffs. 'Dad!' Barry exclaimed. 'It's ok Barry, just stay strong for me' Henry replied to his son. 'Dad no!' Henry Allen was put into a police car and taken away. Then, a kind looking police officer who Barry knew as Joe West, Iris West's dad came up to Barry. 'Hey kid' he said in a soft, comforting voice. 'I'm gonna be looking after you and Ashlynn for a while, okay?' 'Where's Mom?' Barry said, tears forming in his eyes. 'Where is she?' Joe was stumped. He didn't want to lie to the kid, but he didn't want the kid to see his own dead mother. Suddenly, Barry sprinted into the house and Joe raced after him. He saw Barry kneeling by the sheet covering his dead mother. 'Mom?' Barry said softly as tears slid down his face. 'I'm sorry son' said Joe as he wrapped Barry into a big bear hug. 'Thank goodness that Ashlynn is too young to understand any of this' thought Joe as he held Barry.