Chapter 17: An Eventful Visit

"Is he going to be okay?" I asked Caitlin nervously. "Yeah, he will. He just passed out from the pain, but we got a sample of the poison and he should come around in the next few minutes. "Caitlin reassured me.

I pulled up a chair and sat next to Barry until he woke up. I sat there for about 5 minutes until I heard a groan from Barry. "Barry?" I said as his eyelids fluttered open."The Red Streak lives!" Cisco joked."You'd be dead if your lung cells didn't regenerate so quickly." Caitlin said, with a slight hint of anger which was coated with concern.

"Ugh, my chest feels like that one time I had a cigarette." Barry sighed.Caitlin and I looked at him in shock."When did you have a cigarette! You know better than that Bar!" I exclaimed."Teen me lived for danger." He said quietly. "Don't get any ideas." He quickly added.

"Don't worry, I won't" I assured him. "Oh, I'm so glad you're okay! You could've.." I began to say before I was interrupted by Barry. "I didn't" He said. Just then we heard a voice from the other side of the cortex. Now that we have a sample, we can analyse it and figure out the poison, maybe get a clue about his identity." Wells spoke.
"Or at least find a way to stop him from turning into a mist." I said."The Mist! Okay, that's what we're calling him, end of discussion." Cisco said. "You're welcome!" I called as Caitlin laughed.

Just then, Barry started to get out of his bed. I quickly pushed him down. "Where do you think you're going mister?" I asked him. "I need to go to the station." He wheezed. "Barry, you almost died! You need your rest!" I cried. "I have to talk to Joe." "Bar, you rest, I'll go talk to Joe." Before he could argue I raced off.

I met Joe up in Barry's lab. "Joe, we had the meta. We were wrong. He can't control poison gas. He can become it." I said. "That's new." Joe said. "The victim was a judge. We're going through some of her old cases to see if there is a connection." "It's too late." I said. "She's dead, and Barry was almost killed because I wasn't fast enough." I felt a tear slide down my cheek. Joe pulled me into a bear hug.

"Listen Ash, for all the people you save, there are going to be people that you can't save. You need to stop putting this weight of guilt on your shoulders for every person you don't save. You just need to think about all those people you are helping." Joe comforted. "Thanks." I whispered. "Now, don't tell Barry about this, but I'm planning on visiting your dad tonight. Do you wanna come?" He asked me. I hadn't seen my dad in almost a year. I don't visit him as often as Barry does as I don't know him as well. "Sure." I said. "Let's get some pizza and then we'll head?" He asked. "Sounds like a plan." I said as we headed home. On our way out, I saw Iris talking to Eddie, but I didn't hear their conversation.

At about 8:00 pm we headed for Iron Heights prison. I was quiet for the ride as I didn't really know what to say to my dad. When we got in, we emptied out all our personal belongings into a tray. We walked in and I saw my dad on the other side of the glass. I saw his face light up at the sight of me. I picked up the phone at my end and he did the same on his end.

"Hey dad." I said quietly. "Wow Ash, you've grown up so much over the past year. Beautiful as ever. You look more like your mom everyday." He said. I felt tears prickling in my eyes at the mention of mom, but I wouldn't let them fall. "I'm sorry I haven't visited, I've been very busy." I explained. "Don't worry about it." He said. I passed Joe the phone. "Why would you come talk to a man who killed his wife in front of his children?" My dad said bitterly. "I know you didn't do it. New evidence has come to light. I'm re-opening the case. I'm gonna get you out of here." Joe promised.

After, we heard the guard chocking. We turned around to see a green gas chocking the guard. Out off the gas came the man from the shopping mall. "Kyle Nimbus? I thought you were dead!" Joe exclaimed. "Now you two are gonna be dead." Nimbus said.

I felt my throat being cut off. I stuggled to fill air into my lungs. I heard my dad pounding on the glass for help. suddenly, I felt a breeze on my face. I saw Barry standing above me with some sort of needle in his hand. He looked between Joe and I as if trying to pick one of us. "Get- Joe." I wheezed to him. Barty put the needle into Joe's neck. He stopped seizing. "Go get him." I heard Joe whisper to Barry. "Cisco, get to Iron Heights A.S.A.P. Ashlynn needs help." I heard Barry say before speeding off. I was still gasping for air, with each breath being harder than the last. The last thing I remember is Cisco looking over me before my world turned black.

When I awoke, I realised I was in S.T.A.R. Labs. I was laying in a hospital bed. Cisco was sleeping beside me in a chair. Then, I realised how much pain I was in. My chest felt like it was on fire. I let out a muffled groan. Cisco woke up.

"Hey Ash, how you feeling?" He asked me, concerned. "Sore." I wheezed, not trusting my throat to make full sentences. "Joe?" I asked softly. "He's in hospital, but he's okay thanks to the antidote Barry gave him." "Barry?" He's with Joe." Cisco told me. Just then, I felt a breeze on my face before I saw Barry. "Oh my God thank goodness you're okay." Barry sighed before wrapping me in a gentle hug. "Thank you." I whispered to him. "Anytime." He said jokingly. We both started laughing until my laughter turned into a coughing fit. "Okay, that's enough for tonight." Barry said. "Caitlin said you are to stay for the night." Barry told me. I nodded my head. Barry then zoomed out of the cortex before I fell asleep again.