Chapter Fourteen

A wave of panic overcomes Harry as he watches Niall walk over to Josh, Niall's fist clenched so tightly that his knuckles are white, whereas the rest of his skin is flushed in anger. Harry tries to stand but his legs fight back, his knees buckling and giving away. He lands back on the ground rather roughly, causing a guttural grunt in pain to slip past his lips. He feels utterly helpless as he glances back up just in time to see Niall hovering over Josh. The height difference between the two makes Josh seem so much weaker, since he looks substantially shorter than Niall, though that might be because Josh is cowering under Niall's glower.

"What's your fuckin' problem, mate? Got a stick up your ass? Bet you'd like that, huh? Disgusting fag," Josh says in confidence, despite his passive posture.

Josh looks back at the girl with him, grinning and nudging her side but she only stares up at Niall with wide eyes. As Josh turns to look at him Niall throws a punch, clipping his jaw roughly. He stumbles back, blinking a couple of times in shock as he holds his already bruising jaw. The blow stings and he retaliates immediately. In his intoxicated state his aim and balance is off, so he completely misses Niall as he goes in for his own punch, the only thing he hit being air. Niall laughs bitterly at the poor attempt, and grabs Josh by the collar of his shirt. He drags him forward, their faces now only inches apart as they both pant in short, anger-filled breaths.

"Don't you ever touch Harry again, you got that?" Niall asks through gritted teeth, the look in his eyes deadly.

He pulls up so the grip on Josh's shirt tightens around his throat, cutting off the air making its way to his lungs. Niall puts his arm back, ready to punch again. Josh screws his eyes shut and readies himself for another hit because really, he has no way to avoid it, but a strangled call brings them both to a halt.

"Niall, help me," Harry cries in a choked whine.

Niall immediately lets go of Josh at the sound of Harry's distressed voice. Josh crumples to the ground, rubbing his reddening throat as he tries to regain his breathing. The bruise on his jaw is a large bluish-purple splotch now, and a sense of pride fills Niall when he sees it. It's the least he can do. But nothing will ever amount to the pain Josh has caused Harry, no matter how much Niall tries.

He leaves Josh there and rushes to Harry's side as quickly as his body could take him. When he reaches him his heart stops again for what feels like the millionth time tonight. As if things could get worse, they have.

Harry sits on the curb, hand pressed to his chest and hot tears trickling down his cheeks. His chest heaves heavily and sporadically as he gasps for air and coughs violently in a way that makes his lungs burn even more. He looks up at Niall, a mixture of fear and pain and desolation in his eyes that makes Niall feel just as helpless as Harry felt earlier.

"Harry, what's wrong!? What happened!?"

Harry tries to talk, but his words ate garbled due to lack of air, so he frantically points to where his lungs are located. "I-I can't .  .  . I-I can't .  .  ."

He collapses into Niall's arms sobbing silently, and he continues to gasp in attempt for more oxygen to reach his airways. He weakly pounds his hand against Niall's shoulder in frustration because he just can't breathe and its hurts so much and he feels like his lungs might burst and his body starts shaking and trembling. Niall immediately understands what's going on so he pats his hands against Harry's pockets in search for his inhaler.

"Where's your inhaler, dammit?"

Harry shakes his head, unable to tell him that its empty on the floor in his dorm room. He mentally yells at himself for not getting a new one today like he was orignally planning to. Suddenly, he feels himself being picked up bridal style and carried towards Niall's car. The determination etched across Niall's face is, in a way, a beautiful sight. You just know he's going to try with every fiber in his being to keep Harry safe, and if Harry were to die at any moment, he wouldn't mind if it were now, in Niall's arms and unconditionally loved unlike he's ever felt before. But Niall wasnt going to let Harry go that easily.

Harry's placed in the passenger's seat and the engine then roars to life. Niall looks over to him worriedly as silence fills the car. The only sound is the low hum of the engine, and Harry's head is lying limp against the cold window, eyes dropping shut.

"Harry, c'mon baby, stay with me. Don't fall asleep," Niall say, voice trembling. He wills himself not to cry, he has to stay strong for Harry. He pulls his phone out and texts Liam, knowing he'd still be awake.

"m'tired," Harry whispers, chest starting to become shallower with his breaths.

Niall shakes Harry's shoulder roughly as the other hand continues to steer. "I know you're tired, but you need to stay awake. When I get you better you can sleep as long as you want, okay baby? Just please, don't .  .  ." His words are cut off by an abrupt sob racking through his body.

As Niall's car screeches into the parking lot near the dorms, Liam rushes out of Niall's with an inhaler in hand.

"Here, mate. How's he doing?" Liam questions as he hands Niall the inhaler. Niall puts the mouthpiece between Harry's parted lips, pushing down on the button of it. Shots of the medicine puff into his mouth and Harry tries to take as deep of a breath as he could to hold it in.

"Hopefully he's good now. D'ya think I need to take him to a hospital, just in case?"

Harry grabs a hold of the inhaler and uses it again, then shakes his head no as he rolls the window down. "No, m'fine," he mumbles, leaning his head halfway out the window to feel the wind. still short of breath.

"Harry, I know how Asthma works. I have it, and I really think you should see a doctor," Niall says sternly, as if he's talking to a child.

"Honestly, Niall, m'fine. I don't need to see a doctor, stop worrying about me," Harry says, crossing his arms in a huff. He tries to sigh but stops as his chest aches and burns, hoping it went unnoticed by Niall.

Spoiler Alert: It didn't.

Niall ignores Harry's pleas and turns to Liam, "Tell Zayn we'll be at the E.R. I'll call ya if I need anything."

"Niall," Harry whines pitifully, "I'm not going."

Another Spoiler Alert: Harry goes.

A/N: Hi guys! Hope you liked the chapter! Oh, here's a fun fact (even though it isn't necessarily fun!) I have Asthma and I've had an Asthma attack before, which is a terrible experience, might I add. But basically I used my experience to write about Harry's! Anyway, make sure to vote and let me know what you think! Love you all :) x