Chapter Twenty Seven

Apparently its rather vulgar to talk about blowing your best mate when you’re in front of customers, or that’s what Zayn’s manager thinks anyway as he drags Zayn outside and scolds him like he’s a five year old who drew on the walls with crayons. Zayn takes it, sees no point in arguing but he isn’t afraid to roll his eyes and kick at the gravel.

“Zayn, are you even listening to me?”

“Loud and clear,” he mutters, leaning against the building with arms crossed over his chest. He’s had talks like this before so he knows what his limits are, how far he can push it and still get off with just a slap on the wrist. Yeah, he hates his shitty job as much as the next guy, but it’s the only way he’s able to barely keep up with paying for his classes.

“Then why does this keep happening? Can’t ya just keep your mouth shut and do your job? That’s all I ask, don’t havta enjoy it, just do it and get it done.”

He rambles on more about how things were different back in his day, how he’s letting Zayn off easy, and blah, blah, blah. Zayn zones him out until he finally goes quiet, face red and chest heaving because its obvious Zayn wasn’t listening again. He yanks the black apron tied around Zayn’s waist off and shoves him towards the door, assigning him to dish duty for the rest of the month.

***

“Must’ve really screwed up if you’re on dish duty,” says a familiar voice from behind him, giggling moments after as their hip bumps against his. 

“Shove off it, Pez,” Zayn groans, flicking soapy water in her direction as she saunters away with a plate of food in hand. She gasps as it hits the back of her neck, blonde hair bouncing as she swivels around with a playful glare.

“You almost got the food, Zayn. Get the customers sick, why don’t ya. You’d really have your arse handed to ya for that one.”

The corners of her bright red lips are tugged up into a grin, and Zayn smiles back as she disappears through the door. He likes Perrie, always has since the first day he started working. She always has a smile on her face and is willing to listen if you need to talk, has that type of personality that just instantly makes you feel better if you’re having a shitty day and well, today was that day for Zayn.

She comes back through the door moments later with a handful of dirty plates and glasses, setting them beside Zayn and laughs loudly when his eyes look like they’re about to pop out of his head.

“Better get to work, hon, if you wanna be done before your shifts over,” she teases, winking at him when he cusses at her under his breath.