Frozen #DADECEMBER

Tobias

I feel the cold wind all around me, biting at my skin through the fabric of my large black parka. Parka's are designed to protect you from the cold of the wind, I guess this one is a defect then. While it does keep me warm, in this wind it makes my teeth chatter.

Come on, don't be a baby and head back home because of some cold weather. You need to do this for Tris. You already paid for it, you just have to go pick it up. She'll love it.

But what if she doesn't? What if she doesn't want it? What if you got the wrong one? What if it's not good enough for her? Wha-

Shaking my head, I clear the thoughts out of my mind. She will love it. I know she will because I know her. We've talked about it before. It's just that we've always disagreed on which breed to get.

That's when the inevitable happens, I see the brown door of Ms. Schuyler's apartment come into view. The icy snow crunches underneath my feet with each step I take and before I know it, I'm staring at her front door.

I curl my hand into a fist and knock on the door twice. Then I take a step back and look around me so I can busy myself while waiting for her.

All around me the apartment complex and other shops are decorated head to toe in Christmas decorations. Red and green lights line across the doorway to enter Dunkin' Donuts, which is right across the street. Hm, maybe I'll pick up some donuts after this.

"Tobias! Hello sweetie." I hear from my right and I turn around to see an older women who's in her sixties with tan skin, warm brown eyes, and curly jet black hair.

A smile spreads across my lips. "Ms. Schuyler. How are you?" I say and shake her hand in greeting.

"I'm doing very well." she says with a smile of her own. Then it seems like she forgot something as she says, "Oh! Where are my manners? Come in, come in!"

She waves her hand at me to come inside and I comply. As I step into the house–or apartment I should say–heat immediately flows through me and I start to feel sweaty.

I begin to take off my coat when she says, "Here honey, let me help you." She goes behind me and helps me out of it, then hangs it on the wooden rack by the door.

"So I hear you have some puppies up for sale..." I trail off.

Ms. Schuyler gives me a knowing look and I smile at her innocently. "Yes, I do. I take it you're interested in buying one then?" she asks.

I nod. "Yes, I am."

"Well," she starts with a smile. "Lucky for you, I some left. Follow me." she waves a hand at me, indicating that I follow her.

As we start to walk down the narrow hallway, she begins to talk to me and suddenly I'm pushed out of the doorway by a tall man that I don't recognize. He mumbles something at me that I can't understand and continues further into the townhouse with an arm full of groceries. His hair poofs out in a dark afro, and he continues to blabber in a language that I don't understand. Ms. Schuyler offers me an apologetic look.

"He just moved back here after living in France for twenty two years, my nephew. His English isn't so great. He's a sweet boy, though, and he helps out alot with the dogs and other stuff."

"Je suis désolé." He says to me with a gentle smile.

"Um, es okay." I say, remembering what my high school Spanish teacher once said about French and Spanish being related. "Non worriés."