Chapter Three

"I only have enough of this to do it once so it better be right," I mumble to myself as I spread the spell's ingredients out on the table.

According to the book the voodoo clerk gave me I should be able to free MF from this trance by creating a cup of tea with the ingredients she gave me, placing a spell over it, and feeding it to him. I'm hoping this works because the last thing I need is to be stuck with an unresponsive familiar, especially if what she said was true about a storm coming. From what I've read, familiars center their witch's power and make them stronger. I'm already pretty damned strong but apparently with whatever's blowing into town I need to be eating my Wheaties i.e. connecting with my familiar.

Mixing the ingredients together I heat them with the flame from my hand. It smells terrible so if the spell doesn't wake him I'm sure the stench will. Placing the cup on the table I read the spell in my head a few times before hovering my hand above the mug and trying it aloud.

"Bone of my bone, flesh of my flesh, part of my soul, awake from your rest. Free from your cage in mind and spirit, come to me now, make our power it's clearest."

I then repeat the spell in Latin that feels strangely familiar on my tongue, no pun intended.

Initially nothing happens but then the cup begins to vibrate against the table. A light bursts from the top of it before falling down around it like dew, incasing the cup in an ethereal glow.

Picking up the mug, warmth like I've never felt covers my hands. As the cup connects with his lips I feel the warm fuzzy feeling flow through us like a circuit that sparks life back into him. His eyes go from a fogged over look to full of life, color and expression take over his face, erasing his spaced out appearance from before. Slowly his eyes creep up to my face and meet mine. It's then I feel the connection to him, a deep, unnatural, never-ending feeling; it's as if we're on an endless loop. I feel totally at peace. The words of the spell sink in fully as his loving gaze becomes a permanent fixture in my mind, "Part of my soul," the words repeat in my mind and I drop the mug from my hands. It shatters against the hardwoods sending what's left of the putrid smelling drink flying.

His attention moves towards the sound and it's as if the tranquil state of mind is shattered along with the glass. I watch him as he stares at the remnants of the mug for a moment before his eyes slowly crawl up my body to meet my gaze. Swallowing hard I try and think about what I should say. The book didn't cover that part of this whole awakening process. Fortunately for me he speaks before I get the chance to.

"Where am I? Who are you?" he asks, then smacks his lips, a disgusted look on his face. "And what in the hell was in that cup? It tastes like the aŝs of an aŝs."

I hold in my laugh and try to formulate an answer that makes sense. "Um, well...funny story kind of. You uh, just kind of showed up on my doorstep a few hours ago." Terrible response, I know but he's making me tongue-tied with that focused expression of his. He looks hot as hell with his eyebrows all scrunched like that.

He looks away, confusion written all over his face. I see his lips move slightly as if he's recounting his steps. "I have no idea who you are or why I would come here. Your story sounds like bullshįt and yet...for some reason I believe you."

My heart rate slows a bit knowing he believes me but speeds when I realize the truth of the situation; he has no idea what he is. This is going to be a long day.

**~**

"So let me get this straight, you're a witch," he relays slowly, using his fingers to point between us, "and I'm your familiar which makes me a witch too, and I showed up on your doorstep speaking Latin a few hours ago asking you to use me?"