Chapter Eleven

After a shower, I feel a lot better. I may have let a few tears slip but I'll blame them on the alcohol. I hate that rejection from him hurts but the truth is it does. He got under my skin from the first day I met him and like an infection, it's only gotten worse. The most painful part about the whole thing is I thought he was different. I allowed myself to let my guard down more often than I should've because I thought he would be the one man in my life whose actions and words would match. However just like the rest, he's disappointed me and I've disappointed myself for once again being so damn gullible. Men will say absolutely anything to get in your pants – clearly.

"You looked like an angel, you still do," I mock, grumbling to myself as I get into bed. "What a load of bullshįt."

Sprawling out under the covers, my hand hits something hard underneath one of my pillows. Pulling it out I see my phone and realize I've been M.I.A. for the past few days. My focus has been so on preparing for Marion and getting played by Warin I haven't even thought about looking at my phone. The amount of missed calls, voicemails, and texts I have tell the story – something's happened to Dylan.

My fingers can't dial fast enough. I'm shaking all over at the thought of something happening to my best friend. Now more than ever I can't lose her. Without her I really am alone.

"Hello," Dylan answers quietly.

Panic explodes from my body in the form of tears. "Oh my God Dylan are you okay? I'm so sorry I wasn't answering the phone. I haven't looked at it in days. I feel like shįt. Are you alright? I'm coming over right now."

Her laugh sounds like a melody, soothing my racing mind. "Don't Dre, I'm fine. Everything worked out the way it had to. I'm okay, I'm with Karter, you don't have to come over."

Breathing out a shaky breath, I wipe my tears and ask, "What happened?"

As she rehashes the last few days of her life and how crazy things got I'm at a loss for words. I'm angry any of this happened to her, sad that she's upset, annoyed I missed all of the action, and frustrated that I could've helped but was so tied up in this dead end relationship that I almost lost my best friend.

Hearing her talk about how thankful she is that things worked out the way they did and how every day is a blessing makes me feel like I've been wasting the last few months. Life is extremely uncertain for me right now but instead of enjoying every day I've spent my days worrying and preparing for a fight that most likely will end in my death anyway. Not to be pessimistic but it would be a miracle if Warin and I survive against Marion. She's had lifetimes to harness and hone her skills. Warin is a few months out and although I've had my powers for much longer I'm still nowhere near as skilled as Marion. If I was in tune with all of the abilities I possess we would maybe have a chance but my skill set is limited to what I've been able to learn in the last seven years of my life. I don't even have a full decade under my belt. Every preventative measure we've been struggling with the past few months has only been prolonging the inevitable. Either we'll survive by the skin of our teeth or we'll go down swinging.

One thing's for certain I won't waste the last days I have being away from the one person in my life who has never ever let me down.

"I want to see you soon," I interject, unsure of if she's in the middle of speaking. I feel lost having not seen her in so long.

"I'll come by in a couple of days once things have settled down over here," she says, slowly then after a beat asks, "Is everything alright Dre?"

"Nothing bad," I reply without hesitation. I won't get Dylan involved in any of this but I'm also not going to push her away. Being around her reminds me of who I am. Seeing her drills into my head that I have something to live for, to fight for. I have someone who wants and needs me around. I find strength in that on my darkest days.