Chpt: 3- Part 1. The New Girl.

"So what did you find?" Sera asks as she drives down a steep empty road.
"I found a few axes," I begin. As I explain at what I had collected we drive past houses in a blur.
I finish explaining what I had found, leaving out the journal.
"Hey how about you keep driving, and I will go to sleep in the back seats. I'm  tired as." I say while looking at the clock on the dashboard, it flashing 8:30 in the morning. As we have already been driving in silence for hours on end, since we left the warehouse.

I notice the sun starting to rise behind us.
"I was thinking the same thing. But I have been driving for hours how about you drive and I sleep, otherwise, I'm going to crash. I can feel my eyelids getting heavy." Sera counters.
"Sure," I respond.

As she pulls over, I take my seatbelt off and wait for the car to come to a complete stop, until I open the car door, and climb out.

I stretch my legs out and I remember about the journal that was put in the pack, so I get Sera to open the boot, so I can grab it. I grab the book with delicacy and slam the boot shut.

I climb into the driver's side and start the car waiting for Sera to finish stretching and get into the car. While she stretches I open the journal and see normal things for a few dozen pages. But then it starts getting really twisted. Things that were written were insane.
Things like:
THEY ARE COMING! And THE WORLD US GOING TO AN END. BUT NO-ONE BELIEVES ME.
Then it becomes fairly normal again but the last page is messy and dated for last night.
No-one believed me that the world was coming to an end. Everyone was full of ignorance, arrogance to. But I knew.
I was well and truly planned. I had a feeling Mother Nature was going to through us a curve ball.
But I didn't expect it to be as bad as this. I didn't expect people to become bitten and just die on the spot.
I had already heard cases like this, I have heard people saying they were going somewhere safer. They moved as far away as possible.
But the worse thing is that once you get bitten you....
It stops there. The bloodied page was torn and I am left as confused as before. Maybe the journal was owned by one of the mutilated people back at the horrible hardware store.
Why are people leaving for somewhere safer?
Where is safer?
What happens when one gets bitten?
What do I do to stop one from biting me or Sera, or anyone I know and love?
Why am I left lost, confused and alone?
These are all questions I have got running through my mind.

I flick through the journal hoping the answers were somewhere in there. But all there is bloodied and torn pages. Until I get to the end of the book there is a pocket full of images of people, maps, news articles, science reports and a chain with a locket, which falls out and onto my lap.

The passenger door gets slammed shut by Sera. Which makes me jump.
"What are you looking at?" She quizzes.
"Nothing," I respond quickly.

Sera shrugs my suspicious response off and curls up in the back seat to fall to sleep. I put the chain back into the journal and put the journal on the passenger's seat.

I sigh. I lean my head against the steering wheel, at a loss, questions still keep going through my head.
But I put them to the back of my mind when I lift my head, and put the car into drive and drive my thoughts away.

************************************

I notice the flashing green light showing the time after driving for three hours, 11:30 in the morning. I also take notice the fuel gauge, it's red arrow hovering just above half full. I am more tired than before. So I decide that it's about time to find a place to stay.

As we're in an avenue of luxury houses. I look around as I'm driving past. Seeing a lot of destruction, I notice that there is a house that most of the windows are smashed or covered in blood. There is a house that has caught fire and the fire is greedily devouring the yard in flames, there are people abandoning properties, running in all which ways. So I slow, cautioning all of the people and children running crazily, the scene reminds me of popular apocalyptic movies.