Prologue

Tick. Tock. Tick tock.

Amelia Wesley found nothing more annoying than the sound of the clock ticking away on the cold silence of the lobby. Clocks were always annoying for her, a constant reminder that she is running out of time, of all the things she has lost in the past- she despised them. Time heals all wounds, they say, but time doesn't heal anything it just steals.
She kept tapping her fingers on her knees matching with the rhythm of the clock, she hit her shoes on the shiny floor too. It was really the only thing she could do since she already finished all the magazines on the table. So she kept tapping and tapping and tap-

"Would you stop doing that, please?" Said a man, sitting on the other end of the couch. Amelia hadn't even realized he was there. He probably came in while she was reading the Kardashian drama on one of the magazines- yes that's how bored she was. Looking at him now, he seemed awfully familiar but she just couldn't remember where she had seen him. She narrowed her eyes, taking in his face and all the details, her brain working like a face recognition machine and then it hit her and she pointed at him.

"You're Garrett, right?"

The man raised his eyebrows, he seemed very confused for a second but then his expression changed, his eyes softened "it's McGarrett actually. Steve Mcgarrett. We met at the beach a few days ago, didn't we?"
"Yes you came and took Kono away. I haven't seen her since."
"We have lots of work at the office, I'm afraid"
"Oh I get it so you’re one of those bosses."

Mcgarrett stayed silent. He didn't really get that comment but he knew it probably wasn't a compliment. He was about to ask for an explanation but just then the secretary called for both of them to go in the governor's office. They were both surprised but Amelia was too bored to wait and ask questions. Steve followed behind her as she entered the large office.

"What happened? Did you complain because I ruined your surfing evening with Kono?" He asked, trying to make a joke as they walked in.
"What happened did you lose your humor on today's case?" She shot back.

"Commander, thank you for coming in„ said the governor "Amelia, you too." She gestured for them to sit down and as they did she continued "I'm sure you're both wondering why you're here together. Commander McGarrett, this is Officer Amelia Wesley-„
"We've already met" he answered quickly, cutting the introductions short.
"A pleasure indeed" Amelia added in a cold whisper capturing Steve's attention. She could feel his eyes scanning her like a camera, she made sure not to flinch at all. Whilst the governor kept going, ignoring their little argument.

"As I was saying I know you're probably confused about the meaning of this meeting. Commander I'd like to ask for a favor."
Steve returned his attention to the Blonde woman across from him and looked at her with complete seriousness "what can I do?"
"I've watched how great your task force has been doing in the last couple of months and if you allow me I'd like to make an..." she paused, looking for the right word and Amelia stared at her like a hawk "addition to the team"
"No!" Said Amelia, spitting the word out as easy as she breathed. Her outburst was followed by a very deep sigh from the governor which at any other time Amelia would comment on but right now what she needed was to get out of this situation.
Steve, as before, was at a loss of what was going on. He kept looking back and forth at the two women.

"Amelia, please. For ones-"
"No!" She repeated, louder.
"Excuse me if I may say something-" tried Mcgarrett but she cut him off
"You may not prince charming!" Steve was clearly taken aback by the nickname, looking at her more confused than before "you're trying to black mail me and its not going to work governor"
"I feared you might react like this Amelia-"
"You can't make me work with him- I was supposed to leave for New York in a week!"
"That deal is off Amelia"

Amelia stayed silent. She didn't expect that answer. She started shaking her head "no no no. You said- you can't do this!"
"I talked with your bosses Amelia. You have two choices, to stay out of a job or go and work with commander McGarrett"
"You're only doing this to keep me in check!"
"I sure am!"
"Is anyone gonna ask about what I want." Said Steve trying to lighten  the mood.
"Oh would you shut up already!" She snapped looking at him. His expression changed, he didn't like this any more than she did.
"Excuse me?" He snapped. "You don't even know me-"
"I know enough”
"What is that supposed to mean?”
"You're a smart-ass. its your way or the highway. I hate your kind of people”
"Amelia! please! Commander!" Tried the governor.
"She started it, not me!".
"Can you be any more childish?" Amelia pointed out.
"Right now you're both acting like children!„ the woman across the desk said in an angry tone, cutting them off again. "I expected better from you commander. Now Let me rephrase my previous sentence to make the situation clearer for both of you: Steve, Amelia Wesley will be joining your task force" she paused "and that's an order for both of you."
"This ridiculous! You can't order me to work with him- I'm not a kid anymore!"
"I shouldn't have to put up with her either!" Said mcgarrett. Not really minding being a gentlemen anymore.

"It's only for a month" the governor stopped them "if it doesn't work out Amelia you are free to leave but before I put you out on the streets, I want you to get some experience by Hawaii's best team. I trust them enough to do so. Kono is there too, she will help.„
Amelia leaned back on her chair, disappointed and sighed.
"Great now I will be taught how to haunt by a rabbit" she mumbled, shaking her head.
"Did you just call me a rabbit?" Steve raised his eyebrows in disbelief. This was defiantly not going to be an easy partnership. The governor watched them as they were about to start their third round.
"Did I hurt your feelings?" She asked sarcastically, turning her head to the left to look at him.
"Governor! With all due respect I am not a babysitter” said Steven, looking at the blonde woman. Begging with his eyes for her to let him go.  "and this is clearly what you need at this case!"
"Seriously? Babysitter?” she stood tall looking at him. Raising both her eyebrows.
"Why? Did I hurt your feelings?” asked Steve mimicking her voice.
"Cute. Let's see what you'll do when I hurt your face.”
"Do you really think that you can scare me?” he asked standing up too. He was much taller than  her, but it didn't scare her at all.
"Scare you? That is not my intention! Punch you in the face? Sure!”
"You know what? I don't hit damsels in distress! Otherwise you'd be down on the floor right now!”
"Call me damsel in distress one more time and I will put my foot up your a-"
"FOR CHRIST SHAKE AMELIA!” shouted the governor.
"I can't work with her, not in a million years!”
"Yeah me neither!”

They both looked at governor Jameson waiting for her to change her mind but they both lost all hope when she started speaking again.
"I'm glad we have an agreement„ the lady gave them both a smile, ignoring everything that happened a couple of seconds ago. "tomorrow morning you better be on the headquarters or I'll take you there myself!„ the governor said  "Your mum-„
"My mum has nothing to do with this!„ shouted Amelia, leaning on the desk. Her feelings had transformed from annoyed to angry "stop using her"
Before the Governor even had time to say anything,  Amelia was already out the door. The blonde woman tried to stop her by calling her name but it was useless.

Steve stood watching, wondering what the hell was going on between the two. He turned to the governor and she gave him a light smile.
"She's a piece of work, isn't she?„
Steve looked up at her and nodded in agreement.
"Who is she exactly?„ he asked
"I used to know her mother, her parents died when she was 10 years old, she moved in with Chin's family shorty after that and I've always kept an eye on her. Helped pay for the school. Anything she needed."
"What's the thing she said about New York."
"She is certain her parent's killer is there. She got a job a few days ago but I can't let her go Steve. She's too reckless, I'm afraid she won't survive a day."
"It looks to me that she can look after herself just fine"
"That's the problem- she's certain that she can... sometimes her certainty blinds her...all I'm asking is to teach her how to be part of a team, just for one month, after that I'm sending her abroad..„
"Not New York I presume."
"No. Anywhere but there."

Steve threw the keys on the table, closing the door behind him. He just couldn't shake her off his mind. He already had Danny to worry about and his sarcastic tone he didn't need anyone else like Amelia on his task force. Maybe it was the way that he saw a bit of himself in her, the way that she would speak to him, even if she barely knew him that made him go mad about her. It was clear that they were practically the same person in different genders, even if he didn't want to admit it, it was worrying meeting someone as crazy, stubborn and dangerous as him.

A voice that echoed behind him made him raise his head, the cop inside him took control and before he had even realized it he had taken his gun from his holster in his hands, pointing at the man across him.

"HEY YO!„ Danny shouted, ducking in case Steve would actually take the shot. In his hands he held two beers. One of them almost fell on the floor but Steve reached for it before it could hit the ground.
"Knocking Danny! Have you ever heard of knocking?„ he was already pissed enough, the least he needed was Danny. He put his gun back at the holster, shaking his head.
"Normal people see who is behind them before they raise their gun, aiming to kill them„ Danny explained himself, opening the beer in his hand.
Steve gave Danny an annoyed look and opened his beer too.
"So how did it go?„ Danny asked sitting on the couch. Steve sat down next to him, falling on the pillows, depression written all over his face.
"Depends on how you see it"
"See what?"
"We have a new partner„ he said shortly.
"That's great--„ it was only then that Danny realized exactly what Steve said "wait what? Who? Why?„
"She's something like family to the governor and she wants us to train her...teach her how to be part of a team„ he raised his body and left his bottle on the table. Reached for his computer and then started searching all that he could find for the brown-haired girl on the HPD database.
"That her?„ asked Danny pointing at a picture. It was A brown haired woman but unlike Amelia she had green eyes and she looked a bit older.
"Yes of course we are working with a ghost Danny!"

Danny was confused with the irony until he saw that the woman on the screen had died about 20 years ago.

"I don't think that we should be doing this. You know if the governor trusts her Steve, we have no right--„
"that should be her father, they both died, on the field” he whispered and then he came across Amelia's file, she had graduated from the academy a couple of years ago. Top of her class.
"She's pretty, skilled, just as mad as you probably. Where's the problem?„ Danny wondered, not realizing why his friend was so worried.
"She has your sarcasm too..” Steve pointed out, remembering his conversation with Amelia.
"I like her...” Danny shrugged
"Just as mad as me Danny...she's just as mad as me, top of her class, dangerous, skilled and most of all she clearly became a cop to avenge her parents' death—"
"You don't know that Steve, you are mad only because she is apparently way better than you... 100 bucks you'll end up marrying each other„ he said his last sentence, smirking, joking. If he knew his friend well enough he knew that he would probably never get married but he had never met a girl so similar to Steve before, even if he wouldn't let it show he was a bit scared of who that girl was as well. He only hopped that she wasn't truly as crazy as McGarrett.

Was she?