demons.

When you feel my heat, Look into my eyes
It's where my demons hide.

HOSPITAL

He woke up by the sunlight that cut through the windows and the white curtains of the hospital room. At first, he thought he was in his room and he thought that the bed was awfully uncomfortable. When he opened his eyes and realized where he was, he remembered the events of last night. Leaving and then coming back to the hospital because he had a bad feeling. He remembered that Amelia had already fallen asleep by then. He remembered taking the tablet and searching on the murder of her parents until he fell asleep himself and now the tablet was still in his hands and the girl was awake, watching him with an irritating grin in her face.

"morning soldier" she said in a singing tone. She was clearly enjoying this. "I gotta say when I saw you here this morning, I thought someone had killed me on my sleep and I woke up in hell but then I sneezed and I thought if I was dead, I wouldn't sneeze, right? But then I thought well what other kind of explanation could there possibly be for you to be in my hospital room and any explanation I thought of--" Steve sat up as she spoke, stretching himself on the chair, praying for her to finish “you know like, you carrying about me, doing this out of the good of your heart-it's all less likely than actually being dead-"

"is there a point somewhere in this speech?"
"no not really" she shrugged.
"you hang out with Danny a lot." He sighed and changed the subject "I came last night because I had questions after what you said and also with what you told me it doesn't seem like marcel is actually done with you-"
"you feared he'd come back to finish the job?"
"yeah I did."
"so, was falling asleep part of the plan or just an improvisation?"
"you talk a lot has anyone ever told you that?"
"you're a softie has anyone ever told you that?"
Steve laughed and nodded "you'd be surprised."
"I bet"
Steve stared at her. The sunlight fell on her so beautifully, like a floral dress and she wore it so well- he cut his thoughts when he felt his phone buzzing in his pocket and he picked it up quickly.

"hello?"
"hey. It’s your favorite person in the word" said Danny, Steve ignored the comment "We have a new case, Kono just sent me the address do you want me to come pick you up?"
Steve stood up "no!" he answered quickly "I'm not in the house actually. Send me the address and I'll find you there."
"you're not in the house, where are you?"
"none of your business Mum"
"Mum? That's cute, very mature."
"just send me the address Danny! Alright?" he said and hanged up the phone. He looked back at Amelia, who was smiling like a kid.
"I have to go. chin will be here soon so..." he gestured at the door.
"I thought you said you had questions?"
"yeah we'll talk about it when you get out." He gave her the tablet and left as awkwardly as he had last night. While he walked on the large hall of the hospital, which was much more active than last night, he started thinking again about the things he found out last night.

He was so lost in his thoughts he didn't even notice chin coming from the opposite direction until he bumped into him.
"boss?"
Steve stepped backwards, slipping hid hands in his pockets "hey!" he said in surprise. Chin looked over Steve's shoulder a little worried.
"what are you doing here? Is Amelia ok?"
Steve started rubbing the back of his head and nodded "yeah yeah she's fine I was just going to our new case and I was driving past the hospital. I thought I should come say hi."
Chin nodded, a little confused. Steve should know better than lie to a detective.
"ok um. I'll stay with her for a while if you don't mind and I'll meet you guys at the office."

"sure. Take as long as you want." Steve patted him on the shoulder and left. He could feel his eyes on him as he walked but he didn't look behind him, not until he was outside.