compass

Compass points you home
Calling out from the east
Compass points you anywhere
Closer to me.

The day Steve and Amelia came back from New York after getting them from the airport the 5-0 team went for drinks in a bar on a hill. Chin was trying to keep Amelia's spirits up for the most part while Danny kept annoying Steve with his witty one liners. Kono was the one that managed to balance the group successfully through the night. They all thought that not mentioning marcel was probably the best idea, they thought it'd be better if they discussed it in the morning.

Amelia Wesley sat silent in her seat next to Chin, laughing a little now and then so she wouldn't make Chin feel bad about it. Sometimes she'd glance over at Steve but then she'd feel Danny's eyes on her and she'd turn away quickly. There was something like a bug eating her inside, a feeling of anxiety and pain she couldn't quite explain and it made her go mad. The while night she was trying to analyze it in her head but no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't make any sense of it.

Kono would bump her shoulder now and then, bringing her back out of her thoughts just for a few seconds before she dived in deep again. It was Chin's brotherly touch on her shoulder that brought her fully out of it. He leaned in when the others were caught in their own conversation and whispered to her
"you ok?"

She looked in his eyes and for just a second she felt like she was back in time. 20 years ago, looking at him as the small child she was. She shook the memory away and nodded at him, reaching for his arm to give it a light squeeze.
"I'm a little tired to be honest. I'll head home if that's ok."
"sure I'll call tomorrow, alright?"

Amelia chuckled, sometimes Chin's protectiveness annoyed her but she had to admit it was kind of cute. She gave him a quick hug and a kiss on the cheek before standing up and waving goodbye to everyone else.

She walked out of the bar with her head held high and went straight to her car but the view stopped her from just getting in and driving away. From the top of the hill you had half of Hawaii at your feet. Heaven, she thought. She placed slowly to the edge of the hill where there was a bench and sat down as she admired the picture in front of her. The little lights, the waves hitting on the sand, the water looked like a diamond under the stars and mentioning the stars she raised her head at the sky, her hair falling backwards and exposing her neck. She let out a deep breath, she let out everything and left next to her on the bench for now. Her mind was blank, she was in peace, she had surrendered to the endless beauty of Hawaii, one that she more often than not missed in the craziness of her life.

She heard his footsteps, slowly but surely approaching her but she didn't let her gaze fall away from the view. Not even when he sat next to her.
"I thought you left"

She shook her head "I got caught up with the view" she explained "I wish I could enjoy this more often. You know? I don't think we appreciate enough the fact that we live, work here. It's a shame."
"you're the one who wanted to leave" he commented, smiling.
She laughed "its not about what I want Steve- it's more of what I need. I need to find him."
"and you will." He reassured her quickly.
"I know." She answered determinedly and finally looked at him. Her eyes meeting his. Silence followed between both sides, she figured he was probably thinking the same thing, whether he should kiss her or not. She looked away, biting her lip as to stop herself. Steve looked away too, rubbing his hands awkwardly and then abruptly stood up and walked away. Amelia watched him go to his car a little confused until he came back with her badge and her gun that she had left on his desk a few days ago.