what have we become

Amelia was up before most people in Hawaii just like any other morning, her favorite part of the day. You could only hear the wind as it played with the leafs and there was no one around to annoy her or engage with her in small talk. She despised small talk almost as much as clocks.

She thought about New York and the chance she missed. She thought about her new job and her new boss. How she would play with him day and night to entertain herself in this horrid situation she was in. She thought about Kono and chin too, her family, her closest friends in the world and maybe, she thought, they had to do something with this as well. Chin was as opposed to her flying off to New York as the governor. No one was on her side on this.

In the meantime, and in between her many thoughts, Hawaii started waking up. Danny was taking Grace to school, Chin was already in the office finishing some pepper work. Kono was on the beach surfing. Amelia saw her as she reached the coast and ran up to her, taking off her earbuds.

"Hey partner" called Kono, walking up to her with her surfboard. They hugged each other quickly. Kono's brunette hair fell gracefully on the shoulder, creating tiny drops of water on her skin.
"Good morning sis" she said, smiling.
"Ready for your first day?"
"No I don't think so. But then again no one is ever really ready for anything."
"It'll be ok Ams. I know Steve looks like a lot but you've managed with worst"
"Its not him that I mind. If anything I think I'll have fun torturing him while being there my problem is that I'm losing time."

Kono didn't answer, she looked compassionately at her friend, placing her hand on her shoulder.
"I know you'll hit me for saying this but maybe it's for the best."
"You sound like chin."
"He is my cousin Amelia."
Amelia hesitated then she asked "did he have anything to do with this? The decision?"
Kono didnt give an answer which Amelia found very clear. She scoffed "well tell him we will have a talk today when I get to the office."
"Will do."

They waved each other goodbye and Amelia began her way back home to have a shower and get ready for work. When she left the beach Kono's phone started ringing, she had it on her bag in the sand and reached to get it.
"Morning boss. We have a case already?"
"I'm afraid we do. Two friends of mine from Los Angeles are flying in town. They work for NCIS and they need our help." Said Steve from the other line.
"What is it about?" Asked Kono while she put on her shorts.
"They were investigating a murder and they got a lead that the murderer might be in Hawaii. How soon can you be on the office."
"Twenty minutes. Do you want me to call the others?"
"No I'll call everybody. See you in 20.

Before going home Amelia went by her parents' grave. It felt necessary to see them before she started off in her new adventure. When returning to her house, Hawaii was fully awake. The streets were full, the cars had devoured the beautiful silence and the clocks were ticking. Stealing away another day.

When she was making the last turn to her house, Amelia looked down at her phone just to make sure no one had called. While checking the messages she didnt notice the man standing in her front door. When she raised he head it was already too late. He had shielded her mouth and the last thing she heard before blacking out was his cocky ass voice whispering:
"Morning„

"Morning" said Kono as she entered the office. Now fully clothed in a nice pair of Jean's and a white shirt. She had her gun on her hip, next to her badge and her hair tight up on a ponytail. When Walking in everyone turned their eyes on her. Steve was standing in front of the large screen, Deeks on a chair by himself and Danny and Sam were standing across from Steve. Chin was handing out coffees to everyone.