The Funeral: 1911

It's the day of the funeral. I don't wear dresses much. Mainly skirts. I pull on a pair of black tights, a plain black skirt and a black, cold shoulder top with long, patterned sleeves. I slip my feet into a pair of black ballet pumps and pull on my black leather jacket. My make up consists of poppy petal coloured lipstick, mascara and flicked eyeliner.

I am tying my blonde hair up into a high ponytail when I hear Newt shouting from the common room.

"Amber! Are you coming?"

I pick up my handbag and go downstairs into the common room. Newt stands there in a black suit and tie with a white shirt.

"You look nice." He tells me.

"You don't look so bad yourself." I reply. "How'd you even know the password?"

"Another Slytherin." He says.

"Oh." I say. "How are you feeling?"

"Okay, I guess."

Together we go out of the common room and out of the school. His mum is waiting for us.

"Hi. You must be Amber. I'm Newt's mum. You can call me Kate." She says.

She extends her hand which I shake. I smile at her.

"Have you ever apparated before?" She asks. I nod.

We link hands and apparate to the church. I look at Newt.

"Ready?"

He smiles a shaky smile.

"Ready."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The service in the church is over. We are now in the graveyard. Newt hasn't cried at all yet. I'm impressed. We watch as they lower the coffin. I feel Newt's hand tremble slightly. I look at him.

"Are you ok?" I ask.

"I just can't believe I have to say goodbye. So soon." He says.

I squeeze his hand as I see a few tears escape.

"Amber? Newt?" I hear someone say.

We turn around and see Liberty walking over. She's wearing a cream skirt and long sleeve shirt and cream pumps. Her hair is tied up with a very nice cream bow. I remember. She was in the choir. She has such a nice voice.

"I'm sorry to hear about your father, Newt. Dad told me when he knew the funeral would be here." She says.

"This is your father's church?" Newt asks.

"Yep." She replies.

As Liberty and Newt talk, I notice something moving in the woods close by. I excuse myself and wander over. I see something small and green heading towards me.

It's a Bowtruckle!

I bend down to look at him. He notices me and smiles. I put out my hand and he climbs on it.

"Hey little guy. Let's get you home." I say.

I look around until I see a tree with five other Bowtruckles on it.

"Come on. Get back on." I say, reaching my hand over to one of the branches.

The Bowtruckle refuses and climbs further up my arm, resting on my shoulder. I look at the others. One of them sticks their tongue out and the others giggle.

"They bully you, don't they." I say.

The Bowtruckle nods it's head.

"Well then, you can live with me." I say.

The Bowtruckle smiles.

"I'm going to name you...Pickett." I say.

As I turn around, I hear rustling in the bushes. Must be a gnome or something.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quickly, I walk back to the Church. Kate finds me before I find Newt.

"There you are Amber. Your father's here to take you back to Hogwarts." She says.

My mouth falls open. Father? Here? I look around and see a man walking towards me. He has brown hair and brown eyes. Then I realise, he must have used a spell to change his appearance.

"Hello, Father." I say. He smiles at me.

"Hello, Amber. I thought I'd take you back to Hogwarts." He says.

I see Newt talking to his brother and his brother's girlfriend. He won't notice me leaving. Father takes my hand and we walk away.

"It's a shame about Newt's father." Says Father.

"I know." I say.

"I feel a bit guilty now." He says.

I stare at him.

"Why?" I ask, unsure I actually should have asked.

"Because I'm the reason for his death."

I knew I shouldn't have asked.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"Remember Olly?" He asks.

Olly was a friend of Father's. He was a spy too. Olly was just like an older brother to me. And then in a battle, he got killed by an auror. He pushed me out the way of a killing curse. He was only 18.

"Yeah?" I say, wincing slightly at the memory.

"Well, Newt's father was the auror who fired that spell. I wanted to get revenge but I couldn't. Until I found this curse. It affects the blood. It slowly takes it away until there is no blood left. It's painless."

I look back at Newt. He's still talking to his brother. I can see a few tears falling. I look back at Father.

"Well it's painful for the family." I reply.

Father takes my hand.

"Please don't tell anyone. Keep it between you and me." He says. I hear more rustling.

We apparate back to Hogwarts.

"I promise." I say.

Professor Dumbledore is there. He eyes Father suspiciously before guiding me back inside.