The cat's out the bag: 1914

It's been two weeks since I made up with Newt. I can't stop thinking about him. I miss him so much. Leta and I have tried to go back to Hogwarts but there are protective charms around the mill stopping us from escaping. But Clover can still get through.

Newt's owl, Clover, first made an appearance two days after Newt left. A day after Father put up the charms. It's seems that they aren't tall enough to stop her from swooping through my window. I was so happy when I received my first letter from him since he broke my heart. I wish I had an Owl. I have a Siamese cat with blue eyes that I named Sasha.

Anyway, me and Newt have been corresponding like this ever since. But his most recent letter is quite short. I can't stop thinking about it.

Dear Amber,
I'm so sorry.

I accidentally blurted your whereabouts and now the ministry knows.

It's all my fault.

Newt

Just thinking about it makes my stomach flip. Knowing Father, there will probably be a battle. And I'll have to fight on his side.

"Hey, how you doing?"

Leta sits next to me. I smile at her slightly.

"I'm fine. It's just, I'm scared for the future. What if we have a battle? What would happen to us? To Newt? I don't want to die!"

Leta hugs me as a tear rolls down my face. She tucks a loose strand of hair behind my ear and smiles.

"Amber. You won't die. Newt's going to be fine, I'm going to be fine and you're going to be fine. Stop worrying, okay."

"Okay. But I'm still writing a will."

She gives me another hug and leaves. Then Sasha sashays in. She jumps up onto my bed, pads over to my lap, curls up, and falls asleep. I stroke her as she purrs. My mind wanders to Newt and I can't help but wonder what he's been doing since he was expelled.

And if I'll ever see him in the flesh again.

~~~~~~~~~~

Suddenly, my door bursts open. I've just finished writing my will. I'm going to keep it on me.

"Shadow! We're leaving!"

I stare at Father. Sasha wakes up and I hug her before letting her go. I know she has another place to stay since we won't be able to take care of her anymore.

Father grabs my wrist and pulls me down the stairs. Leta, her mother Naomi, her father Adam, and father's other gang members are waiting.

"Come on. We need to escape."

We link hands and apparate. And, for a moment, we are free. But mid-apparation, I feel someone pull us off course.

We land in a field and I trip over. I look up to see that we are facing a large portion of MOM workers and Hogwarts staff. I recognise Theseus Scamander among them.

Pickett - who was on my shoulder - hops off and climbs onto a tree. I watch him go, hoping that he survives. I turn back and that's when I see him.

Right at the back, clearly anxious, is Newt.