Chapter Ten

“I'm telling you Gabriel, there's going to be a war.” Ana persisted as she followed me out of the house. She's been going on and on about it for the last two weeks since she told me.rolled my eyes and sighed trying to keep the irritation out of my voice.

“There isn't going to be a war, Ana. We went through this already. Whatever little prophecy you think you found lied to you. No one is going to try to would the night world it is forbidden. The Goddess would kill whoever tried.” She shook her head and grabbed my arm.

“What If the Goddess doesn't care? What if she's testing us to see what we would do? Something could seriously be happening right now. You aren't taking this seriously at all. I know that you think that I'm overreacting, but… I don't want anything bad to happen. I can't lose any more people… I can't lose you, not after losing my mate.” She looked up into my eyes and my heart broke at the sight of her. Her chocolate eyes glazed over with tears, reflecting every emotion that she was feeling at the moment. Pain, confusion, desperation, and worst of all: fear. I grabbed the side of her face with my hands and brought my lips down to hers. The kiss was full of desperation and I pulled away after a few seconds.

“Let's go for a run.” I grabbed Ana’s hand and lightly pulled her in the direction towards the woods. She nodded and smiled at me. Once we were behind the trees we stripped out of our clothes and shifted into wolf for.

Where do you want to go? Ana asked me, her voice coming through the mindlink.

Let's go to the lake, I haven't been in about a week and it's my favorite place. She nodded and me and we were off. I didn't run my fastest since I knew that Ana couldn't keep up with me if I did.

We weaved through the trees and bushes like pros. I know that we both ran through this forest hundreds of times, we could do it backwards and blindfolded. Though that wouldn't be the smartest. I could feel myself picking up pace, going faster. I was trying to catch the wind, and I honestly thought that I could. It whipped through my hair and I had to squint my eyes to keep them from drying out.

Gabriel slow down! I can't run that fast. Ana yelled at me through the link and I ignored her. I saw the lake in the distance and I pushed myself faster trying to get to it faster I ran until I got to the edge when I made a quick turn right and ran along side it. I could hear Ana just then breaking through the edge of the forest.

You're such an asshole do you know that? She hissed at me through the link and I let out a bark that was supposed to be laughter.

Really Gabriel I can't keep up slow do- her sentence was interrupted by a howl of pain. I stopped running and turned around to see Ana falling to her left and into the water. The scent of her blood filled the air but stopped as soon whatever injury she got hit the water. I ran to where she fell into the water and jumped in after her.

I didn't realize I ran that far from the beginning of the lake. It was deeper this farther South. Much deeper. My entire body was under the water in seconds. It took a few moments for my eyesight to get used to the darkness that was underwater. My head jerked in every direction trying to lock onto Ana's form but I couldn't. See her anywhere. My lungs were beginning to burn from the lack of oxygen but I swam down deeper trying to find her.

I couldn't see her anywhere and I could feel the fear creeping into my body. It felt like it was taking a hold of my entire soul and squeezing my will to live from it. If I wasn't underwater I'm sure my vision would be blurry from the tears.

Ana, Ana please. Where are you? Answer me! I waited a few seconds and got no answer. My lungs were ready to burst at this point but I had to find her. I needed her. She was all I had left. I could see the bubbles that were escaping from my muzzle, my oxygen level decreasing quickly. Black dots and other shapes filled my vision. Black shapes and a small glowing light far in the distance I could tell it was getting brighter with each passing second while my dimmed.

Please… I thought as the last of my air left from my lips.

I love you James. And with that everything went black.

White. That was the only thing that I saw nothing but white. I was back in my human form, naked as the day that I was born. I glanced around trying to find something, anything that would give me a clue as to where I am or how I got her. I racked my brain trying to remember what lead up to this point. I remembered Ana, us going for a run, weaving through the forest, going to the lake. The lake! She fell in I went after her but I couldn't find her. I couldn't breathe. I died. I'm dead. But if I died doesn't that mean that…

“Ana!” Her name tore through my lips and I broke out into a run. Where to? I have no idea. There had to be a door, stairway, something that would lead me somewhere. I had to find her, show her that it was going to be okay.

I didn't even know if I was actually going anywhere or moving at this. If I was just simply running in place, I couldn't tell. Everything was white. White, misty, and the same. Was this Hell? Was this supposed to be my own personal Hell, solitude no matter what I did? No matter how far I ran. Tear filled my eyes.

“Please… Please! Ana! Adam! John! Somebody… Anybody… Help.” I dropped to my knees as the tears slid down my face.

“James.” And then there was silence. I covered my face with my hands and let out a silent sob. This couldn't be the end. It couldn't end like this. I finally had it. Everything that I could have ever wanted. I had a family, friends, Ana, a wolf. Everything!

“Not everything.” The voice was barely above a whisper. As soft as a leaf falling onto soft earth after it rained. But I heard it. I looked around, wiping at my eyes to clear my vision trying to find who the voice belonged to. My eyes locked on a small whitish-blue orb that was floating in the distance as it got closer to me I recognized it as the light that I saw before I did. I went to stand up but found myself unable to move. The orb drew closer until it was right in front of me.

“You don't have a mate.” It was female voice, very easy to distinguish and pick out in a crowd if I ever heard it again. It was like honey. So rich and smooth, yet edgy. Like a sharp piece of broken glass that can cut into your skin like paper.

“You don't have a mate Gabriel. The one thing that you desire. The one thing that you need to survive. He rejected you, the foolish boy. He rejected a prince.” The shape turned into a human form before turning solid. In a flash of light that caused me to close my eyes in fear of turning blind turned the entire room bright than what it already was. I kept my eyes shut, not daring to open them until I felt cold hands on my skin causing my chin to lift up.

“Open your eyes my child. There is no reason to be afraid.” The voice was back and I slowly opened my eyes to see the most beautiful woman I've ever seen.

Her hair fell down like a waterfall to her knees. It was as white as snow, almost silvery, it looked just like my fur. Her eyes were the darkest deepest black that I ever say, never ending it seemed. It felt like I was drowning just looking into them. Her skin was porcelain white. Like one of those Chinese glass dolls that you would find in a souvenir shop. Her lips a soft pink, full and I just knew that she had the most wonderful smile.

“Gorgeous.” She whispered.

“You've grown up yo be a fine young man. I'm so proud. My little Gabriel.” She smiled at me and I was right. Straight rows of white teeth and pink gums. Absolutely stunning.

“Who are you?” I finally found my voice. Though it dide come out scratchy and cracked she knew what I said. She graced me with another smile this time a closed mouth one.

“It's time to wake up.”